[SOLVED] Installing wall jacks to connect PC to cable router in a different room.

May 6, 2020
I have a cable modem/router in one room and my PC in a different room. The PC connects to the router over wifi but I want to connect it directly to the router using a cable. I am looking to install a wall jack in both rooms so I can plug the router into one jack and the PC into the other wall jack to make the connection. I only need the one connection, so I have not installed a patch panel or switch.

I have run cat5e cable and used the T568A standard for connecting the cable to the to the jacks. I have plugged in the PC, and router, to the jacks but the computer is not connecting and shows an unplugged message when I go into settings. I have also tried swapping the cables I use to connect both devices to the wall jacks.

Since I am not using a patch panel do I need to change which color wires are connected to each pin in one of the jacks?

Solution
Provided you pick a standard and use the same on each keystones (jack at either end), you shouldn't have a problem. T568B is probably more common, but it shouldn't matter.

KEystones do exist that only support one standard, but you'd probably have to go out of your way to find them...

Can you link the 'jacks' and cable that you purchased?

Beyond any crazy mismatch, which should be unlikely - chances are you're just not making a good connection on one (or more) of the wires on either end. Poor quality punchdown tool &/or "toolless" keystones could be the culprit.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Provided you pick a standard and use the same on each keystones (jack at either end), you shouldn't have a problem. T568B is probably more common, but it shouldn't matter.

KEystones do exist that only support one standard, but you'd probably have to go out of your way to find them...

Can you link the 'jacks' and cable that you purchased?

Beyond any crazy mismatch, which should be unlikely - chances are you're just not making a good connection on one (or more) of the wires on either end. Poor quality punchdown tool &/or "toolless" keystones could be the culprit.

Solution
As long as both ends are 568a it will work fine. You can hook a 568b patch cable to a wall jack wired 568a. This is because both ends of the patch cable are 568b. The wire does not know the color as long as you get the pairs correct and for example pin 1 goes to pin 1 the wire color does not matter.

I will assume you used keystones in the wall ? It can be as simple as the wires are not punched down firmly.

You could have a bad patch cable maybe try to plug the router directly into the pc with each of them.