Installing Win 98

Scott

Awhile back, I picked up a Gateway System Restoration Kit with Win98 (rev. 1.2)
SE on ebay. The plan is to install it on a newly-formatted hard drive on a GW E-3200
desktop. There is no Product Key with this CD. I do have a Win98 (first edition) CD
and a Win98 (first edition) Upgrade CD. Both have Product Keys. Can I assume that
either of these keys will work for Win98 SE?

Thanks!
Scott

The odds of any unrelated product key working are extremely small! Sorry!

"Scott" <golden@uslink.net> wrote in message
> Awhile back, I picked up a Gateway System Restoration Kit with Win98 (rev.
> 1.2)
> SE on ebay. The plan is to install it on a newly-formatted hard drive on
> a GW E-3200
> desktop. There is no Product Key with this CD. I do have a Win98 (first
> edition) CD
> and a Win98 (first edition) Upgrade CD. Both have Product Keys. Can I
> assume that
> either of these keys will work for Win98 SE?
>
> Thanks!
> Scott

If the system shipped with 98SE, there should be a sticker on the machine
with the product key on it.

"Scott" <golden@uslink.net> wrote in message
> Awhile back, I picked up a Gateway System Restoration Kit with Win98 (rev.
1.2)
> SE on ebay. The plan is to install it on a newly-formatted hard drive on
a GW E-3200
> desktop. There is no Product Key with this CD. I do have a Win98 (first
edition) CD
> and a Win98 (first edition) Upgrade CD. Both have Product Keys. Can I
assume that
> either of these keys will work for Win98 SE?
>
> Thanks!
> Scott

Scott

Ed,

The poster below suggests the product key may not be required when installing
the OS with the restoration CD. What do you think?

At any rate, I have another E-3200 in the garage (also from ebay). It doesn't
have a product key sticker on it, but Win98SE is installed on the desktop.
I would assume I could boot it up and located the product key somewhere
in the registry?

Thanks!
Scott

"Edward J. Neth" wrote:

> If the system shipped with 98SE, there should be a sticker on the machine
> with the product key on it.
>
> "Scott" <golden@uslink.net> wrote in message
> > Awhile back, I picked up a Gateway System Restoration Kit with Win98 (rev.
> 1.2)
> > SE on ebay. The plan is to install it on a newly-formatted hard drive on
> a GW E-3200
> > desktop. There is no Product Key with this CD. I do have a Win98 (first
> edition) CD
> > and a Win98 (first edition) Upgrade CD. Both have Product Keys. Can I
> assume that
> > either of these keys will work for Win98 SE?
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Scott

smith

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2003

You know when I used to reinstall my Windows ME Restoration cds after
formats, it never asked me for a CD key.

"Scott" <golden@uslink.net> wrote in message
> Awhile back, I picked up a Gateway System Restoration Kit with Win98 (rev.
> 1.2)
> SE on ebay. The plan is to install it on a newly-formatted hard drive on
> a GW E-3200
> desktop. There is no Product Key with this CD. I do have a Win98 (first
> edition) CD
> and a Win98 (first edition) Upgrade CD. Both have Product Keys. Can I
> assume that
> either of these keys will work for Win98 SE?
>
> Thanks!
> Scott

Well, before I go off on my subject matter(blather) I should try to help the
OP by indicating that a licence from a "Windows 98" product will not work
with a "Windows 98SE" product.On related subject matter, but not helpful to
the OP, my new notebook that came with WinXP Pro installed on it, has no key
and by all appearances does not require activation.Which leads me to think
that I could install it on several computers throughout the greater Bay Area
if I desired. Probably something I'm missing though, maybe it activates in
the background without any visual indication noticed by the user. I am
curious about how corperate licenceing works as it applies to the
installation these similar types of programs from Microsoft. Theres probably
no longer any such beast that allows unlimited installations of Microsoft
Operating systems. Could be though.Although not available to the general
public. The nice thing about this particular "restore disk" is that it
appears to be a generic restore disk because as it describes when doing a
restore in that it says please use the seperately provided programs and
drivers cd. And, when installing from this "restore" cd it appears to
install just like the retail product minus the requirement of keys or
activation. Of course I would never try to install it on another computer
while it was already installed on one machine because that is not allowed
per the End User Licence Agreement.Actually as strange as it may appear to
some folks, I totally agree with this "key and activation" scheme. It is
fair and it is effective. Put yourself in his(William Gates) shoes. I sure
as hell wouldn't like selling a similar type of product to a user only to
find out that although you have made one sale, you come to discover through
some rudimentary analysys a month later at least 85% of the people in
his/her community was using your product. Lots of very happy users indeed,
but, I am not being compensated for my work. I remember when Bill Gates was
hailed as being one of the top 15 richest men in the world with an estimated
worth of 4.2 billion dollars. Before he introduced this "key and activation"
campain. Then 1 years after he successfully deployed this scheme with the
introduction and release of Windows XP he became the richest man in the
world by moving the decimal point in between the 4 and the 2 in 4.2 billion
dollars one place to the right. 42 billion dollars. Don't quote me on the
accuracy of the exact details, but it is something like that.

Ty

"Smith" <rangerxlt92@cox.net> wrote in message
> You know when I used to reinstall my Windows ME Restoration cds after
> formats, it never asked me for a CD key.
>
> "Scott" <golden@uslink.net> wrote in message
> > Awhile back, I picked up a Gateway System Restoration Kit with Win98
(rev.
> > 1.2)
> > SE on ebay. The plan is to install it on a newly-formatted hard drive
on
> > a GW E-3200
> > desktop. There is no Product Key with this CD. I do have a Win98
(first
> > edition) CD
> > and a Win98 (first edition) Upgrade CD. Both have Product Keys. Can I
> > assume that
> > either of these keys will work for Win98 SE?
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Scott

Don

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2001

Your windows xp restoration cd will only install on newer gateway systems,
it checks something in the bios.
It's the same with other venders as well. A requirement from Microsoft.

"Tyrone Jackson" <tycobb@earth.net> wrote in message
> [...]
> accuracy of the exact details, but it is something like that.
>

> Ty
>
> "Smith" <rangerxlt92@cox.net> wrote in message
>> You know when I used to reinstall my Windows ME Restoration cds after
>> formats, it never asked me for a CD key.
>>
>> "Scott" <golden@uslink.net> wrote in message
>> > Awhile back, I picked up a Gateway System Restoration Kit with Win98
> (rev.
>> > 1.2)
>> > SE on ebay. The plan is to install it on a newly-formatted hard drive
> on
>> > a GW E-3200
>> > desktop. There is no Product Key with this CD. I do have a Win98
> (first
>> > edition) CD
>> > and a Win98 (first edition) Upgrade CD. Both have Product Keys. Can I
>> > assume that
>> > either of these keys will work for Win98 SE?

Google for a program called KEYFINDER. Download it. Run it, under Windows, of
course. It will display the Windows OS product key and also the Microsoft
Office product key.

If a computer does not boot cleanly to the Windows GUI, there are also ways of
extracting product keys from the registry under DOS. They are somewhat messy,
arcane and ugly... Ben Myers

On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 00:01:48 -0500, Scott <golden@uslink.net> wrote:

>Ed,
>
>The poster below suggests the product key may not be required when installing
>the OS with the restoration CD. What do you think?
>
>At any rate, I have another E-3200 in the garage (also from ebay). It doesn't
>have a product key sticker on it, but Win98SE is installed on the desktop.
>I would assume I could boot it up and located the product key somewhere
>in the registry?
>
>Thanks!
>Scott
>

>"Edward J. Neth" wrote:
>
>> If the system shipped with 98SE, there should be a sticker on the machine
>> with the product key on it.
>>
>> "Scott" <golden@uslink.net> wrote in message
>> > Awhile back, I picked up a Gateway System Restoration Kit with Win98 (rev.
>> 1.2)
>> > SE on ebay. The plan is to install it on a newly-formatted hard drive on
>> a GW E-3200
>> > desktop. There is no Product Key with this CD. I do have a Win98 (first
>> edition) CD
>> > and a Win98 (first edition) Upgrade CD. Both have Product Keys. Can I
>> assume that
>> > either of these keys will work for Win98 SE?
>> >
>> > Thanks!
>> > Scott

Microsoft began BIOS-locking Windows with ME and 2000 - 98 will almost
certainly need the product key.

> Ed,
>
> The poster below suggests the product key may not be required when
installing
> the OS with the restoration CD. What do you think?
>
> At any rate, I have another E-3200 in the garage (also from ebay). It
doesn't
> have a product key sticker on it, but Win98SE is installed on the
desktop.
> I would assume I could boot it up and located the product key somewhere
> in the registry?
>
> Thanks!
> Scott
>

> "Edward J. Neth" wrote:
>
> > If the system shipped with 98SE, there should be a sticker on the
machine
> > with the product key on it.
> >
> > "Scott" <golden@uslink.net> wrote in message
> > > Awhile back, I picked up a Gateway System Restoration Kit with Win98
(rev.
> > 1.2)
> > > SE on ebay. The plan is to install it on a newly-formatted hard drive
on
> > a GW E-3200
> > > desktop. There is no Product Key with this CD. I do have a Win98
(first
> > edition) CD
> > > and a Win98 (first edition) Upgrade CD. Both have Product Keys. Can
> > assume that
> > > either of these keys will work for Win98 SE?
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > > Scott

Thank you for the correct information. Gotta admit I was curious though
: ) Makes perfect sense, because if my idea was correct Microsoft would be
right back where they were with earlier versions of Windows.

Now that you mention it, some of the files located at the root of my
Gateway bundled "Windows XP Pro" disk look kind of different in comparison
to other Windows XP Home/Pro disks I have strewn about. the house. I
remember years ago when I would get bundled OS disks( 95, 98, 98SE, (ME?)),
they were the OEM type which always allowed unlimited installations on any
machine - anytime - anywhere. Then, that particular system would also
include a separate system restore disk that would make your computer exactly
the same way it was when you bought it.

I kind of like the idea and implementation of the current activation
process. The good thing about that is not having a guilty conscience by
circumventing(ignoring) the EULA and installing it on as many computers as
was humanly possible.OUCH!

What I think is absolutely horrible is the PRICE of these current OS's!
I mean, if he as he should have charged a more than fair 50% of what he does
charge, he, and everyone currently employed by Microsoft would have enough
money to *VERY* comfortably live separate lifetimes an amount equal to that
the amount of Windows XP disks that were sold during the first day of that
OS becoming available as a retail product for consumers to purchase.

Ty

"Don" <donr503@sio.midco.net> wrote in message
> [...]
> > hailed as being one of the top 15 richest men in the world with an
> > estimated
> > worth of 4.2 billion dollars. Before he introduced this "key and
> > activation"
> > campain. Then 1 years after he successfully deployed this scheme with
the
> > introduction and release of Windows XP he became the richest man in the
> > world by moving the decimal point in between the 4 and the 2 in 4.2
> > billion
> > dollars one place to the right. 42 billion dollars. Don't quote me on
the
> > accuracy of the exact details, but it is something like that.
> >

> > Ty
> >
> > "Smith" <rangerxlt92@cox.net> wrote in message
> >> You know when I used to reinstall my Windows ME Restoration cds after
> >> formats, it never asked me for a CD key.

Get Keyfinder v1.41 here:

http://www.magicaljellybean.com/