Question Installing Win10 from USB device onto new build..having issues

welchs101

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
Hi, I inserted my window 10 USB (that i got from microsoft) into USB 3.1 and nothing happened....ie...system did not recognize it. So i inserted it into back on the MOB into a USB 2.0 slot and system did recognize it. However, when i hit F11 to get to boot menu it asks do i want to boot from the following:
1-Kingston SA2000M8100G
2-UEFI: KDI-MSFTWindows 10 PMAP. Partition 1
3-USB: KDI-MSFTWindows 10 PMAP

the first item is my NVMe device and it is blank...nothing on it as this is a new build.

But which do i choose 2 or 3 and why? What is UEFI?-

welchs101

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
why is windows 10 asking me which mode? i guess i am not sure why windows 10 is asking me which one......why doesnt it just load.......................

is there an OS for both UEFI and BIOS?

If your boot drive (where windows will be installed) is larger than 2TB, then you absolutely have to use UEFI install. Or else you can't use full capacity of the drive.

Since your Kingston SSD is only 1TB, then you can use either mode. Doesn't really matter.
UEFI is newer standard. But it can be trickier to set up correctly.
Legacy mode is simpler.

welchs101

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
every thing i reading right now says i should use UEFI because its the new standard...........so which should i use? i have read the previous posts and it sounds like its up to me but to be honest i dont have any idea other than the articles i am reading now which kinda suggest to use the new UEFI..........

thoughts?

TRENDING THREADS