[SOLVED] Installing Win10 via bootable USB: A mess

Jul 12, 2021
I've been having an incredibly frustrating time trying to boot from a USB on this new build. I kept getting to the screen just past the language selection and got only error messages:

A media driver your computer needs is missing" or "A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing"
or
No device drivers were found

I was trying to follow a possible fix, something along the lines of my PC not knowing the USB was plugged in because of boot settings. I ended up disabling LEGACY mode and then was unable to use my keyboard or mouse at all. The recommendation for that was to take out the CMOS battery for a few minutes then reinsert it to reset it.

I did that and now I not only cannot use my mouse and keyboard, but I'm stuck on a page that reads:

Copyright (C) American Meganrends, Inc.
BIO Date: 03/25/2021 21:29:51
B560M Pro4 UEFI P1.70

CMOS Date/Time Not Set
Press F2 or DEL to Run Setup
Press F1 to Continue

There's also now a red light on the motherboard that's illuminated. I assume I dislodged something while removing my GPU to reach the CMOS Battery or that the GPU isn't seated, but after checking everything to make sure they're in snug..no change. The light is still there.

Solution
Chrome recovery tool is just for fixing chrome books? link

you should use the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

only way to test it is really use another USB. There shouldn't be any other drivers running at such an early stage of the install, just after the language screen. Its running off the USB and RAM.

what gpu is it?
most modern boards have reinforced PCIe 16 brackets to deal with cards - i can see from looking at your board that yours does now.
Jul 12, 2021
the top error can actually be caused by the USB the installer is on, try using another USB drive
short search shows red light could be CPU or ram so make sure ram is in. maybe

I only have one flash drive which I actually had to go and buy today. How can I check to see if it's in fact the flash drive? Should I try to just reformat it then use the recommended software to recreate it as a bootable flash?
(I'm having to use a chromebook, tragically. So I use the Chrome Recovery Utility app)

I've checked the hardware. Everything is secure and snug. I didn't touch anything near the CPU. But I wonder if it's the GPU since it's so heavy..maybe the weight is causing it to sag and mess up the connection?

Colif

Win 11 Master

you should use the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

only way to test it is really use another USB. There shouldn't be any other drivers running at such an early stage of the install, just after the language screen. Its running off the USB and RAM.

what gpu is it?
most modern boards have reinforced PCIe 16 brackets to deal with cards - i can see from looking at your board that yours does now.

Solution
Jul 12, 2021

what gpu is it?

I just finished using the Media Creation Tool thanks to my room mate.
Hopefully it solves a part of my problem. I just need to figure out how to key my keyboard to work at least.

My GPU is an EVGA GeForce GTX 670

Jul 12, 2021
Right now I wanna try and get my keyboard/mouse issue resolved since I can't even check if my bootable flash is working until then.

There is no response from my keyboard at any point. I can't enter BIOs or anything and once I land on the CMOS checksum screen, that's where I get stuck.

I've tried all of my ports to no avail. I'm using a USB mouse and keyboard. They were working fine until an hour or more ago.
The CMOS battery is new. It came with the case. I've had this thing for only two days now.

I don't mean to sound urgent, it's just that I use computers for extra work. I have two projects lined up that I need to get back onto.

I don't know why switching legacy to uefi would make your keyboard stop working but if you can find one you should try a ps/2 keyboard, those always work.
If the legacy you talk about was in the usb settings then it makes much much more sense.
Also read up on the manual of your mobo to see if there is some switch on it that will reset the bios properly.

The initial problem could be that you used a usb3 port, windows install doesn't like usb3 and lacks drivers for it, so the bios can boot to it but then when the installation takes over it can't access it anymore.

Jul 12, 2021
I borrowed my room mates ps/2 keyboard last night to no avail.
I will look at the manual again. Sadly, I dont recall seeing a mention of such button. The manual is a bit basic. Maybe a website will be more helpful.