Question Installing windows 10 64 bit on UEFI system problem - unable to detect boot

Jun 30, 2019
I have a serious problem installing windows 10 64 bits on UEFI system - it took me 2 long days working on it and literally tried almost everything but still no solution. Therefore i would like to ask whats the problem and how to get this solved. This is the chronology of my installation. Please help this i need to get the laptop working fast - You can watch the video problem here installing windows 10 64 bit problem
  1. Downloaded windows 10 ISO 64 bit from the media creation tools
  2. Mount it as bootable on USB 8 GB using Rufus with setting partition scheme: GPT and file system: FAT32(Default)
  3. Format the installation destination (Sandisk SSD: 120GB) with partition scheme: GPT and file system: NTFS
  4. BIOS Settings: Secure boot Disabled
  5. Running the installation - no problem until completed (no error occurs in between) -- i have tried this like 4 times and 100% certain the installation running perfect
  6. BUT...................when the installation is completed and restart the laptop the following errors occur
  7. Recovery

Your PC/Device needs to be repaired
    An unexpected error has occured.

Error code: 0xc0000185

You'll need to use recovery tools. If you don't have any installation media (lie a disc or USB device), contact your PC administrator or PC/Device manufacturer

Press F1 to enter Recovery Environment
    Press Esc for UEFI Firmware Settings
  8. I have checked the BIOS setting all looking goods and reboot again then the following error
Default Boot Device Missing or Boot Failed.
Insert Recovery Media and Hit any key
Then select 'Boot Manager' to choose a new Boot Device or to Boot Recovery Media
My PC Spec:
Acer Aspire A315-32-C6SE + SSD 120GB (Sandisk) + Trying to install windows 10 64bit

Jun 30, 2019
If you use the Media Creation Tool properly, you don't need to do anything with Rufus in regards to the USB drive that Windows is written to. The MCT will handle all necessary formatting of the USB drive.

I did tried to create the mount directly from the media creation tool to mount the iso file directly onto the ssd....unfortunately when i did so - the pc won't boot. That's why it lead me to the rufus which is the only successful attempt to boot the pc and allow me to install windows 10

One obvious issue is your creating a USB windows install media with Rufus. While Rufus is a great program, I would not trust it load a USB with a GPT partition scheme. The Media Creation file, if you choose USB, will partition, format and load Windows 10 on a USB that will be bootable with either a UEFI or legacy mode, that will be much more reliable than something to can create with an ISO and Rufus.

Jun 30, 2019
One obvious issue is your creating a USB windows install media with Rufus. While Rufus is a great program, I would not trust it load a USB with a GPT partition scheme. The Media Creation file, if you choose USB, will partition, format and load Windows 10 on a USB that will be bootable with either a UEFI or legacy mode, that will be much more reliable than something to can create with an ISO and Rufus.
I will try this later and let's see what i got

Jun 30, 2019

After i've tried your recommendation few times repeated and getting the same results as my original problem -- i have come to realize this is something to do with the new SSD with windows installed refused to be recognized during boot by the bios..I need to find a way how to fix so that it boot the new windows....do you have any idea where the problem lies and what are the step i can try?

You wrote that you:
Formatted the installation destination (Sandisk SSD: 120GB) with partition scheme: GPT and file system: NTFS

As the first reply to the original post told you.

That is wrong, the drive should be empty, no format, no partitions. Delete all existing partitions. Windows installer will create the partitions it needs and format the drive.

Jun 30, 2019
You wrote that you:
Formatted the installation destination (Sandisk SSD: 120GB) with partition scheme: GPT and file system: NTFS

As the first reply to the original post told you.

That is wrong, the drive should be empty, no format, no partitions. Delete all existing partitions. Windows installer will create the partitions it needs and format the drive.

I have tried that as well and i am pretty sure of that....what i did was SSD: diskpart -- clean and then go back to the installation and let the installer create new partition.. The interesting part is the windows always successfully installed and no doubt about that including using rufus or the media creations tools actually all no problem....but once the installation completed then boot the same error occurs

"
  1. Recovery

Your PC/Device needs to be repaired
    An unexpected error has occured.

Error code: 0xc0000185

You'll need to use recovery tools. If you don't have any installation media (lie a disc or USB device), contact your PC administrator or PC/Device manufacturer

Press F1 to enter Recovery Environment
    Press Esc for UEFI Firmware Settings"

After i've tried your recommendation few times repeated and getting the same results as my original problem -- i have come to realize this is something to do with the new SSD with windows installed refused to be recognized during boot by the bios..I need to find a way how to fix so that it boot the new windows....do you have any idea where the problem lies and what are the step i can try?
Try using a different USB and/or a different USB ports. Best to plug into one of the rear USB ports and do not not use a USB hub.

Jun 30, 2019
Try using a different USB and/or a different USB ports. Best to plug into one of the rear USB ports and do not not use a USB hub.
I dont believe this the problem my laptop only have usb on the side and no port in the back. This must be something to do with the boot when the windows is created missing something or the UEFI bios system does not have the necessary file..to make it boot windows...

This is noticeable when using the USB boot it can load but when the windows installed on SSD it wont boot...so there must be missing something in the installed windows.

TRENDING THREADS