[SOLVED] Installing Windows 10 after hardware changes

danirockdude2

Commendable
Apr 19, 2020
Hello, I'm going to upgrade my PC soon, new motherboard,cpu and this time around a new SSD (M.2) on which I'm going to install Windows 10 Pro.
Currently I see that my Windows is activated with a digital license linked to my Microsoft Account.

My question is what would be necessary for me to install windows and activate it on my new hardware?
Should I first remove the Windows 10 license on my current PC? or is it unnecessary?

Thank you all in advance! :D

Solution
Thank you for the quick reply, I am willing to use the HDD that has Windows currently with my new hardware but I am going to format it, will it be sufficient?

when you install win 10 on nvme, make sure its the only drive in PC.
That won't give it a choice as to where to put the boot partition.
Once win 10 happily boots off the nvme, put the hdd back in

Since it has win 10 on it now, do this once you ready to format it as you won't be able to do it inside windows -
go to settings/update & security/recovery
under advanced startup, click restart now
this loads you into a blue menu at startup
Pick troubleshoot
Pick advanced
Pick Command Prompt
Type diskpart and press enter
Type list disk and press...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Thank you for the quick reply, I am willing to use the HDD that has Windows currently with my new hardware but I am going to format it, will it be sufficient?

when you install win 10 on nvme, make sure its the only drive in PC.
That won't give it a choice as to where to put the boot partition.
Once win 10 happily boots off the nvme, put the hdd back in

Since it has win 10 on it now, do this once you ready to format it as you won't be able to do it inside windows -
go to settings/update & security/recovery
under advanced startup, click restart now
this loads you into a blue menu at startup
Pick troubleshoot
Pick advanced
Pick Command Prompt
Type diskpart and press enter
Type list disk and press enter

This will show the list of drives currently attached to PC, make note of the drive number of the drive you want to wipe

If Disk 1 is the drive you want to clear, type select 1) and press enter. A message will confirm it is selected

Warning: Diskpart Erase/Clean will permanently erase/destroy all data on the selected drive. Please be certain that you are erasing the correct disk.

Once you sure its right disk, type Clean and press enter

The Command Prompt window will display the message "DiskPart succeeded in cleaning the disk". Close out of the Command Prompt window by clicking the red X in the upper right hand corner. Restart the PC

Reactions: danirockdude2
Solution