[SOLVED] Installing Windows 10. Do i need to do anything to my windows 7 first?

ss_56

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
Hey guys; Back when the free upgrade came out, i deleted that GWX thing and i was careful to not install any windows 10 related updates. Due to that, is there any windows 7 "prep" i need to do now before i install 10 or will the windows10 installation prep my computer regardless? thanks

Solution
There is nothing you need to do to prep your computer beyond doing a full system image backup and a separate user data backup. This is just "standard procedure" before doing any major work on any system.

You can follow these instructions: Doing a Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows 10 ISO file

The only difference between a Repair Install/Feature Update under Windows 10, and an upgrade install from Windows 7 is that all the steps for the upgrade up to and including kicking off setup.exe occur under Windows 7. It's a simple process overall and it's still free.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
There is nothing you need to do to prep your computer beyond doing a full system image backup and a separate user data backup. This is just "standard procedure" before doing any major work on any system.

You can follow these instructions: Doing a Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows 10 ISO file

The only difference between a Repair Install/Feature Update under Windows 10, and an upgrade install from Windows 7 is that all the steps for the upgrade up to and including kicking off setup.exe occur under Windows 7. It's a simple process overall and it's still free.

Solution

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
The statement from Microsoft is that it's over. The actuality is that it isn't.

I have yet to hear a single report of an upgrade install from Windows 7/8/8.1 to Windows 10 not going through without a hitch. The last one I saw discussed occurred less than a month ago.

ss_56

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
One more thing guys; if i go ahead and buy windows 10 for my old pc then later, when i upgrade my motherboard, etc., can i use my windows 10 license on the new motherboard without issues?

USAFRet

Titan
One more thing guys; if i go ahead and buy windows 10 for my old pc then later, when i upgrade my motherboard, etc., can i use my windows 10 license on the new motherboard without issues?
Yes.
A valid Win 10 license that you purchase can be moved to different hardware.

Associate the license with a Microsoft account.
After the hardware change,the Activation Troubleshooter will assist with getting the new install on the new hardware validated.

But why do you specifiy "buy Windows 10 for my old hardware"

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
I will simply say that:

a) There is no need to purchase a Windows 10 license at all if one is upgrading an already licensed installation of Windows 7/8/8.1

b) You will not be asked for a license key for Windows 10 when doing an upgrade install. The installer is "fully aware" of what's happening and handles the conversion to a Windows 10 license all on its own.

ss_56

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
I will simply say that:

a) There is no need to purchase a Windows 10 license at all if one is upgrading an already licensed installation of Windows 7/8/8.1

b) You will not be asked for a license key for Windows 10 when doing an upgrade install. The installer is "fully aware" of what's happening and handles the conversion to a Windows 10 license all on its own.

Okay i got it. I'm 'upgrading'! I'm a lot less worried. thanks!