Installing Windows 10 From USB

Rs Fps

Honorable
Aug 29, 2013
Hi all, I have a asus transformer t100t4, which comes with 32 bit windows 8. I upgraded to windows 10 using the windows media creation tool. However, to run some software I need to be on a 64 bit OS (my cpu is x64). I used the media creation tool to load a usb stick with windows 10. I power up the laptop and select the usb to be boot device. However, the laptop just boots as normal (as if it booted from the main storage). I am trying a different usb stick, meanwhile I ask for help. This is quite urgent as I have to travel soon and need to know whether I can upgrade to windows 10 64 bit or have to purchase a new laptop. Thanks.

Solution

Yes. An Asus Transfomer T100T has a 32bit processor.
You absolutely need a 32bit OS to boot from for this.

Rs Fps

Honorable
Aug 29, 2013

Still no difference.

Let's double check that you're following this procedure:
1. Don't insert the usb stick yet.
2. Power up, immediately go into bios. Set USB as the first boot device. Save and exit the bios. Let the PC launch into windows, then power down.
3. Connect the usb stick.
4. Power up.
5. You're Asus laptop may or may not do this next step. Look out for a ‘Press any key to boot from USB’ message: unless you hit a key at that point, your computer will skip the USB drive and move on to the next boot device that you’ve configured.
6. Hopefully, the Windows installer starts.

Rs Fps

Honorable
Aug 29, 2013

The laptop only lets you select the usb as a boot device when it is connected. I set the boot priority to the usb first, but it still boots normally. There is an option to override the boot settings with a desired boot device. When I select the usb stick the bios refreshes. It seems to fail to boot from the usb.

in the asus bios turn off csr secuity it may be in the bios boot tab. this keep intel mb from booting fro musb and hard drive to clone or take data off laptops. if there nothing there then use f8 at power up and change the boot order there. if the usb stick wont boot. try another stick and redownload the microsoft media creation tool.

Rs Fps

Honorable
Aug 29, 2013

When I try to run the setup I get a message: "This app can't run on your PC. To find a version for your PC, check with the software publisher."

USAFRet

Titan

Right.
You cannot run the 64bit OS setup.exe from within a running 32bit OS.
It must boot from that USB.

did you look at the link to migrate from 32 to 64 bit above?

"Before getting started

Switching from 32 bit to 64 bit in Windows 10 is free, so you do not need to pay more. As long as you have a qualifying Windows 7/8 or Windows 10 license, you are entitled to use it.
There is no direct path to upgrade Windows 10 tablet from 32 bit to 64 bit, so you have to make a clean installation of the operating system. The process will wipe all files, applications and settings.
Make sure you back up important files beforehand.
You have to reinstall applications and native 64 bit drivers."

Rs Fps

Honorable
Aug 29, 2013

Yeah I've read through. It's what I was doing before.

USAFRet

Titan

His basic issue is that the Transformer won't boot up from the USB stick.

Rs Fps

Honorable
Aug 29, 2013

I tried 2 different usb sticks.

maybe that version won't run on your hardware? i would try hard resetting to default factory settings, then booting to usb, but that's me

according to this, you might need a new BIOS, he was saying they did not support x64 in 2014...
https://www.urtech.ca/2014/10/solved-how-to-install-windows-10-on-an-asus-t100-transformer/

Rs Fps

Honorable
Aug 29, 2013

How do I install a new bios?

USAFRet

Titan

I think you're getting ahead of yourself a bit.

The main issue seems to not being able to boot from a USB stick?

Disregard Win 10 64bit.
Can it boot from any USB stick? Possibly create a memtest86 on a USB, just to verify the system will actually boot from that.
https://www.memtest86.com/technical.htm

This is not to test the RAM, just to see if we can get the system to boot from a USB.

Rs Fps

Honorable
Aug 29, 2013

memtest86 boots without any issue