[SOLVED] Installing Windows 10 on a USB drive with important photos saved onto it

GeorgeCZ75

Reputable
Aug 27, 2019
I purchased an SSD and I want to download Windows 10 on that. I want to download Windows 10 installer on my USB drive, however, that USB drive has some very important photos and I'm afraid that if I attempt to download Windows installer on it, all the photos and documents on the USB drive might get corrupted or something like that. Will this happen?

Solution
Using the MediaCreation tool to build a Win 10 USB...it will absolutely wipe any and all data on that drive.
It warns you of this twice.

Save that data elsewhere first.

Again - It will absolutely wipe ALL data on that drive.

USAFRet

Titan
Using the MediaCreation tool to build a Win 10 USB...it will absolutely wipe any and all data on that drive.
It warns you of this twice.

Save that data elsewhere first.

Again - It will absolutely wipe ALL data on that drive.

Solution

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
This is true whether you use the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool (MCT) or a utility such as Rufus to create a bootable USB drive.

Completely wiping it is part and parcel of the process and Rufus, like the MCT, warns you of this as well.

Either get another USB thumb drive (16GB ones are dirt cheap and 8GB ones even cheaper) or copy those pictures off on to an external backup drive before you use the USB thumb drive they're currently on.

Reactions: NightHawkRMX

USAFRet

Titan

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
You literally need to stop whatever it is you're doing right now and backup those files. You say you have very important photos on this USB drive, but if you have files that aren't properly backed up, the only question isn't whether or not you'll eventually you lose your files, but when. If these are truly important, a backup is the minimum level of responsible upkeep; you ideally want at least three copies in at least two different formats with at least one copy off-site.

however, that USB drive has some very important photos and I'm afraid that if I attempt to download Windows installer on it, all the photos and documents on the USB drive might get corrupted or something like that.
Or just buy 8GB USB for like $5, and keep it aside just for that purpose.