Question Installing Windows 10 on HDD and not accepting it.

venzari.

Prominent
Feb 15, 2019
So as the title says I'm installing windows on my mates first PC and when i get to drive selection screen its saying "windows cannot be installed on selected drive." If i click next it pops up with "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this desk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computers BIOS menu."

I have read and adjusted BIOS settings formatted the HDD several times over the span of 4 hours and have not found a solution.

Would appreciate some help. :)

Feb 14, 2019
Ok, so go to this link, click Windows 10 October 2018, hit confirm, then follow the steps to get to the installation process. Next go to the file location on the PC where it downloaded, drag and drop it to the Hard Drive, once it copies the files right click it and run it as an administrator, and get back to me and tell me if it works :)

supermanu15

Distinguished
try this:

1. While on the screen that says "windows cannot be installed on this drive" on the keyboard hit shift key + f10 key
  2. On the command prompt screen type "diskpart" it will bring you to the command line version of the disk partitioning scheme
  3. Type "list disk" and select your 1tb hard drive by typing "select disk x" where x is the number of your 1tb drive
  4. Type "clean" and after that type "convert gpt"
  5. Close out the command prompt and try refreshing, if it still doesnt do it then try restarting and redoing the installation and see it if goes through this time to installing it on the disk

Last edited: