Installing Windows 10 on M.2 2280 SSD

Czbok2016

Reputable
Jan 22, 2016
Hi guys, I recently bought a SanDisk x400 512GB M.2 2280 SSD.

I am planning to add it to my Dell i7559-2512BLK laptop. My current boot drive is a 1TB SATA drive. I have no experience whatsoever with installing new drives and BIOS configurations and things of the such.

Can someone teach me how to install my new SSD and use it as my boot drive for Windows 10 ? All help appreciated !

*EDIT: Happy Fourth Everyone !

Solution
Basically you install the M.2 card into the laptop.

Then you need to go into the bios of the laptop.

You need to make sure the sata interface mode is set to AHCI.
And that in the boot section of the bios that any M.2 listed device is set to number 2.
Or a boot able Pci-e device.

Set the hardware detection order of boot devices if the option exists in your bios to.
Legacy/ UEFI mode.

For number 1. device in the boot order of devices, if using a DVD disc set the DVD drive to number 1.
Or if using a Usb flash device or pen drive to install windows 10 from set Usb devices to number 1 in the boot order list of the bios.

After you have made the changes in selected options, save the new settings in the bios before you exit it on your...
Basically you install the M.2 card into the laptop.

Then you need to go into the bios of the laptop.

You need to make sure the sata interface mode is set to AHCI.
And that in the boot section of the bios that any M.2 listed device is set to number 2.
Or a boot able Pci-e device.

Set the hardware detection order of boot devices if the option exists in your bios to.
Legacy/ UEFI mode.

For number 1. device in the boot order of devices, if using a DVD disc set the DVD drive to number 1.
Or if using a Usb flash device or pen drive to install windows 10 from set Usb devices to number 1 in the boot order list of the bios.

After you have made the changes in selected options, save the new settings in the bios before you exit it on your laptop.
Czbok2016

Solution

Czbok2016

Reputable
Jan 22, 2016

I'm kinda confused but after reading it a few times I get what you mean. I'll try it ASAP and will update you on the results. Thanks and will pick your reply as answer if I am successful !

Czbok2016

Reputable
Jan 22, 2016

Hi shaun, I would like to know once I set up that SSD as my boot drive, how do I format the old HDD ? Thanks