Installing windows 10 on new hdd

Geza Fischer

Reputable
Nov 10, 2014
Hello

I have a Lenovo T410 that is running windows 10. The hdd is corrupting, so i need to transfer the windows 10 install over to a new hdd. Data lose is not an issue as i have removed it all from the computer and backed it up. The problem is, i got this computer off of Craigslist with windows 8.1 installed. I then upgraded to windows 10. That means, i have no installation media, nor activation code. How can i transfer windows 10 to a new hdd without having to buy a license?

Thanks
Geza

Solution

If you have a valid key sticker, and you already installed Windows 10 once on that machine, go ahead and follow the instructions from the link I gave you to do a clean install on the new disk. It should just work, without requiring keys and activate by itself.

Geza Fischer

Reputable
Nov 10, 2014
it was made in 2010. i dont think the bios or motherboard has the key on it. it has a coa for win 7 on the bottom of it but i dont have windows 7 installation media and im not even sure if that key still works.

Thanks
Geza

If you have a valid key sticker, and you already installed Windows 10 once on that machine, go ahead and follow the instructions from the link I gave you to do a clean install on the new disk. It should just work, without requiring keys and activate by itself.

Solution