Question Installing Windows 10 on New M.2

Jun 28, 2022
So I have 3 existing hard drives on my PC at the moment and I just installed a new M.2 drive. I have transferred over any important video's pictures and documents onto an external hard drive and now I want to delete/reformat/wipe everything off my 3 hard drives and start fresh with my new M.2 (with windows on it) and 1 SSD I had originally I'm getting rid of the other 2 drives and giving them to a family member for their PC. I Bought and I'm using Windows 10 I purchased from best buy, came with a USB stick with windows installer setup on it and a key code as well. My question is Do I or can I delete and format all my drives now/first and then just stick the USB from windows and boot off that and install windows on the m.2 or can I stick the USB in boot off that and download windows on the M.2 drive first ? Cause then windows would be installed on 2 different drives does that matter? In what order or how would you go along doing all this? Also want to mention I did not upgrade to windows 11 either even though my computer says its compatible and ready for the new windows 11 but I haven't done it. Should I upgrade to 11 first? before reinstalling onto the new M.2? I feel like the USB stick that came with windows will not work or something happening with my luck ha! Some help or advice would be great! Not worried about backing anything up all I do is play games on My pc so nothing important is on any hard drive or on the computer itself.

USAFRet

Titan
Physically disconnect all drives except for the new SSD that you will install on.

Then...

USAFRet

Titan
Okay unplugging looks like a safe bet for sure and will be doing that! but i still need to know to delete and format the drives before or after ?
The other drives?

You don't NEED to.

But all you'd really need to do is delete whatever is on there, leaving a blank drive.

To be safe, show us a screencap of your current Disk Management window, before this fresh OS install.

Jun 28, 2022
Idk how to add a screenshot just asks me for a URL lol sorry

So is it safe to just unplug all my drives besides my M.2 install windows onto it make sure in the BIOS that drive is my main boot drive. Then plug in all my other drivers and delete and format them all? and i should be good to go?

USAFRet

Titan
Idk how to add a screenshot just asks me for a URL lol sorry

So is it safe to just unplug all my drives besides my M.2 install windows onto it make sure in the BIOS that drive is my main boot drive. Then plug in all my other drivers and delete and format them all? and i should be good to go?
Yes.

And to post a pic here, upload it to imgur.com, post the link here.

Jun 28, 2022
The Z drive is the new M.2 drive I want windows on and the Toshiba drive is my external one so ignore that one but the C, D and E drive I want to delete/format. My C drive is what my windows is installed on now but i want to keep that drive as my second one. D and E I will be giving them away to a family member

USAFRet

Titan
The Z drive is the new M.2 drive I want windows on and the Toshiba drive is my external one so ignore that one but the C, D and E drive I want to delete/format. My C drive is what my windows is installed on now but i want to keep that drive as my second one. D and E I will be giving them away to a family member
So, install on the new M.2 drive.
Later, reconnect the others.

Delete all existing partitions.
New Simple Volume and format.
Keep or give away as desired.

Jun 28, 2022
Same goes for my C drive where windows and some other games are installed everything is greyed out. But my E drive where most of my games and programs are does allow me to format and delete

Jun 28, 2022
I never moved or relocated anything I did buy this PC as a prebuilt maybe the people at cyberpowerPC did that? this PC came with 3 hard drives when I got it. But if I delete and format everything on the C drive will it then let me format and delete everything on Disk 2?

Jun 28, 2022
okay guys ill try all this and see if I can get it all to work smoothly. Btw do you need this page file? can you delete it? is it necessary to have on a drive? if I delete everything and install windows on my new M.2 drive will it create a new page file on it?

TRENDING THREADS