[SOLVED] Installing windows 10 on new PC

Feb 12, 2022
I'm a PC building noob and just did my first build yesterday. Everything in it is new except for the SSD, which I was hoping to carry over from my 6-year-old PC. My new build only gets to the bios, and from what I've gathered, this is because the OS is hardware-specific. Pretty sure I need to wipe my drive in order for it to work with the new PC. But how do I get windows 10 installed on the new pc after wiping? Would like to avoid buying a win 10 flash drive if at all possible. This also happens to be my first ever post here, so please tell me if I'm posting in the wrong category. Figured since this was about installing windows that this category would be appropriate.

Currently using a 1TB Samsung 860 Evo

Solution
For the install....

Your Windows license is a different thing.
Where did the original OS license come from?

USAFRet

Titan
For the install....

Solution

Blackink

Distinguished
For the install....

I read through those instructions for a Windows 10 install, just to give me something to read through and found them quite good and, in spots, a bit entertaining.
I have a question regarding the installation and setting the Boot order in BIOS.
Let's say you're going to install from a flash drive and you go into the BIOS and select the USB drive to make sure the system boots up from that flash drive......what happens once the installation is complete?
Does the system now know that it needs to boot from the primary drive where Windows was installed, which means it doesn't boot from the flash drive? Or do we need to go back into the BIOS once the installation is done and change the boot order so the system starts up at the primary drive instead of the USB/flash drive?

I haven't had to do a clean install of Windows 10 in awhile so I can't remember what I did when I used a flash drive for the install.

Thanks,
Steve

USAFRet

Titan
I read through those instructions for a Windows 10 install, just to give me something to read through and found them quite good and, in spots, a bit entertaining.
I have a question regarding the installation and setting the Boot order in BIOS.
Let's say you're going to install from a flash drive and you go into the BIOS and select the USB drive to make sure the system boots up from that flash drive......what happens once the installation is complete?
Does the system now know that it needs to boot from the primary drive where Windows was installed, which means it doesn't boot from the flash drive? Or do we need to go back into the BIOS once the installation is done and change the boot order so the system starts up at the primary drive instead of the USB/flash drive?

I haven't had to do a clean install of Windows 10 in awhile so I can't remember what I did when I used a flash drive for the install.

Thanks,
Steve
When the system wants to reboot during the install process, you can simply remove the flash drive.
It will continue to boot from the newly installed OS.

Blackink

Distinguished
OK, so far you've been spot on in answering my questions...Thanks!

So when exactly, during the installation process, is it safe to remove the flash drive if that's how I am installing the new OS?

I, for one, can never really tell when it's safe to remove that flash drive during a new OS install, and I didn't see anything in those instructions as to when would be a good time to remove it.