Question Installing Windows 10 on SSD - Gets to region selection then restart loop.

Jul 17, 2019
I just bought a new motherboard, processor, and powersupply. My motherboard required Windows 10, so I secure erased my SSD to install Windows 10. After putting the ISO from Microsoft on three separate discs (burned on two computers to guarantee my burner wasn't the issue).

I'm stuck in a reset loop after the initial installation. I get to region selection, select yes, then the computer restarts and I get a recovery screen.

I'm unsure how to move forward from here.

Motherboard: MSI MPG Z390
CPU: i7 9700K

USAFRet

Titan
Backstory:

Reactions: darcy1124
Jul 17, 2019
Wondering:

"My motherboard required Windows 10"

How was that determined?

Where did you get your Windows 10?
Yesterday I was having issues where the computer would boot my SSD on windows 7, but none of my USB ports would work. After hours of troubleshooting, I determined it had to be the OS. Someone in a forum on here helped me with it.

I got my Windows 10 from the Microsoft website. I've been troubleshooting with them all day online and they couldn't determine anything else.

My only idea now is that my SSD might be bad? Everything else is new and registering in my BIOS.

Jul 17, 2019
Backstory:
Make and model SSD?

Have you been able to run the SSD manufacturer's diagnostic software on the SSD? Results?

As for getting Windows 10 from Microsoft's website: do you actually have a licensed copy that you paid for?
My SSD is a PNY 240 GB (SSD7SC240GCS1).

To be honest, I don't know how to run the diagnostic software but it worked perfectly fine before I securely erased everything off of it.

I have an activation key from my previous edition with Windows 7. When I was talking to Microsoft today they said this works with the upgrade. Although, I have been installing it without inputting the activation key.

Jul 17, 2019
What software did you use to "securely erase" the SSD?

Checked PNY's website for applicable diagnostic software. None noted....

Here is an option:

https://mashtips.com/ssd-health-test-and-performance-monitor-tools/

And, to go back a bit: what exactly does that Recovery Screen say?
I used the secure erase+ on my MSI mother board.

Thanks for the info. I'll check it out!

The recovery screen looks like this:
sme_5.png

Ralston18

Titan
Interesting.

This - regarding Recovery:

"if you don't know which option is right for you, contact someone you trust to help with this".

Maybe I have missed something or have just not been paying attention but that seems to be a very non-MS/Windows like message.

Hopefully someone else following this thread can enlighten me.

But what happens if you select "See advanced repair options"?

Jul 17, 2019
Interesting.

This - regarding Recovery:

"if you don't know which option is right for you, contact someone you trust to help with this".

Maybe I have missed something or have just not been paying attention but that seems to be a very non-MS/Windows like message.

Hopefully someone else following this thread can enlighten me.

But what happens if you select "See advanced repair options"?
I've never seen that wording.
Then again, I never looked that closely.

I was in contact with Microsoft support for about 4 hours today trying to troubleshoot. They said it's a standard message and tried to help me fix the problem. They took control of my second computer and manually created the ISO on a flash drive and disc drive. I attempted to install all of them and always ended up with this error. Their conclusion was that some of my hardware must be bad. In the BIOS, everything checks out though. It shows my CPU running fine, RAM, fans, etc...

Only thing I think now is that maybe I corrupted my SSD in some way.

-- In response to what happens if I select "see advanced repair options," it gives me the choice to reset the drive (which I did 3 times with three sort of different option selections) and do a "boot repair". Which both lead me back to the same recovery screen after its over.

Ok first, new mobos have at least some USB3 ports and windows 7 doesn't have USB 3 drivers you have to install them or even slipstream them onto the install disk for them to work.

Resetting at the same point each time does indeed point towards a hardware issue.
Go into the bios and make sure everything is set to normal numbers, a lot of mobos auto overclock everything so make sure ram and cpu clocks and volts are set to something safe.
Resetting can be caused by corrupted data and overclocked ram or CPU can definitely cause that.