Installing windows 10 pro on drive that already has windows and personal files

usman_shad

Prominent
Jan 8, 2018
Hi all,

Current laptop has my 2.5 inch 250gb ssd with Windows 10 pro on it and my files on it. It has 1 partition that houses both windows 10 pro and my personal files + 1 small partition called system reserved I think.

I intend to put my SSD into new laptop and reinstall windows 10 pro but don't want to lose any of my personal files.

If I use Windows usb installer which I downloaded earlier, is it possible to delete the current windows install which relates to my old laptop and then install windows again for the new laptop, all while not deleting any of my personal files. If this is possible is it a good idea, or should I just delete all the partitions on my SSD ?

I do have a backup of all my files but would rather leave my files on the drive if I could do this and still be able to install a fresh copy of windows for the new laptop, however if its just better to wipe away all the partitions I can do this.

Many Thanks.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i don't think booting from the usb allows you to save personal stuff. once booted to it, you can run the installer and it'll do what you want but a fresh install from a usb does not give this option.

since your data is backed up you should just go ahead and format the drive completely and start fresh. in the future i suggest making a second partition once windows is working and keeping your data there. this way you can blow away the windows install anytime you want and not worry about data loss.

USAFRet

Titan
Always, always, always....
Copy your personal files to elsewhere during a process like this.

If you don't have another drive, borrow one. Buy one. whatever.
Upload them to DropBox, OneDrive, whatever.
Somewhere other than this particular drive.

In a whole new laptop, it will probably require a whole new install.

Have your personal files elsewhere during this process.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
he's dropping the ssd into a new laptop. i assume the new laptop does not have an ssd and he wishes to reuse the one he has instead of the spinning drive it comes with. my guess anyway.

fresh install is the option to go with here. easy to do since he states he already has the data backed up.

USAFRet

Titan

Possibly.
But what OS is licensed with each laptop?
If both are Win 10 Pro, no prob.
If the new one is Win 10 Home...the Pro license from the other laptop won't work.