[SOLVED] Installing Windows 10 to a new SSD

Nulaa

Reputable
Oct 13, 2019
So currently i have windows 10 installed on a 1TB HDD which is almost full. So i have ordered a 240 GB SSD, Mainly for windows 10 and maybe even a few games. But is there an easy way to reinstall windows/ move windows from my current HDD to my new SSD? Or will i have to purchase windows again? Also if i do end up getting windows 10 onto my new SSD, how will i get it off the HDD? Thanks alot!

Solution
If you were moving from a smaller boot drive to a larger boot drive you could clone the smaller driver to the larger drive.

Reference Post #6 in the following link from within this Forum:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/i-want-transfer-all-information-on-to-new-drive.3567191/

You could indeed do a clone. Caveat being that the current 1 TB HDD is perhaps partitioned with the current boot drive/partition being smaller than 240 GB.

Overall, my recommendation would be clean Windows install on the 240 GB SSD.

Then copy data back as necessary.

Note: In any case do not fill up the SSD. Leave the SSD about 20-30% empty (my personal preference).

Ralston18

Titan
If you were moving from a smaller boot drive to a larger boot drive you could clone the smaller driver to the larger drive.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/i-want-transfer-all-information-on-to-new-drive.3567191/

You could indeed do a clone. Caveat being that the current 1 TB HDD is perhaps partitioned with the current boot drive/partition being smaller than 240 GB.

Note: In any case do not fill up the SSD. Leave the SSD about 20-30% empty (my personal preference).

Solution
as long as windows is linked to a microsoft account and its the same computer you will not have to worry about windows not reactivating when moving over to the new SSD drive

you can always do a frsh install of windows just make sure the SSD drive is the only drive connected during the install to avoid issues.

you can also try to image the disk with free software like macrium reflect but since the image will containb everything from your 1TB drive it would be sifficult to restore it to the smaller 256GB SSD

Nulaa

Reputable
Oct 13, 2019

Thanks for the reply! I will also check out that thread, much appreciated :)

USAFRet

Titan
So currently i have windows 10 installed on a 1TB HDD which is almost full. So i have ordered a 240 GB SSD, Mainly for windows 10 and maybe even a few games. But is there an easy way to reinstall windows/ move windows from my current HDD to my new SSD? Or will i have to purchase windows again? Also if i do end up getting windows 10 onto my new SSD, how will i get it off the HDD? Thanks alot!
How much space is consumed on your current C drive (or partition)?
What specific SSD is involved here?

Nulaa

Reputable
Oct 13, 2019
To even consider a clone operation to that drive, that actual consumed space much be below 200GB.

See when you say a "clone operation" if im being 100% honest with you, i do not have a clue what that means, how it works, or how i do it. I apologise but would you be able to help me with the meaning? Much appreciated

USAFRet

Titan
So, your whole system resides on your 1TB HDD.
You have a new 240GB SSD.

Optimally, you want the OS and a bunch of other stuff on this solid state drive.
There are basically 2 ways to do this.

1. A clean install of Windows and most of your other applications on the new SSD. Basically, starting from zero.

or

2. A clone from the old drive to the new. This is taking the whole contents of the C drive to the new drive. But this requires that the actual consumed space be below the size of the new drive. You can't pick and choose what goes.