[SOLVED] Installing Windows 10 to a new SSD

farhanazharw

Reputable
Jul 16, 2016
I have a Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB SSD
I want to install windows 10 to this SSD, but it keeps saying,
"Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu."

I really need help thank you.

Solution
Here are the motherboard specs, check where your sata drive is connected; it can not share with the m.2 device. note the * and ** caveats.

4 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s Connectors, support RAID (RAID 0, RAID 1 and RAID 10), NCQ, AHCI and Hot Plug*
  • 2 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s Connectors by ASMedia ASM1061, support NCQ, AHCI and Hot Plug
  • 1 x Ultra M.2 Socket (M2_1), supports M Key type 2242/2260/2280 M.2 PCI Express module up to Gen3 x4 (32 Gb/s) (with Matisse, Picasso, Summit Ridge, Raven Ridge and Pinnacle Ridge) or Gen3 x2 (16 Gb/s) (with A-Series APU and Athlon series APU)**
  • 1 x M.2 Socket (M2_2), supports M Key type 2230/2242/2260/2280/22110 M.2 SATA3 6.0 Gb/s module**

*M2_2 and SATA3_3 share lanes. If either one of them is in use...
You have an incorrect format on the SSD.
When you deploy Windows to a UEFI-based device, you must format the hard drive that includes the Windows partition by using a GUID partition table (GPT) file system. Additional drives may use either the GPT or the master boot record (MBR) file format.
Usually (GPT + UEFI) go hand in hand and This is compulsory for Windows), while optional for others (eg. Linux). When considering convert disk to GPT disk, make sure that your computer’s motherboard supports UEFI boot mode.

Lots of info regarding disk partitioning if you google or watch Youtube vids on the subject.

farhanazharw

Reputable
Jul 16, 2016
You have an incorrect format on the SSD.
When you deploy Windows to a UEFI-based device, you must format the hard drive that includes the Windows partition by using a GUID partition table (GPT) file system. Additional drives may use either the GPT or the master boot record (MBR) file format.
Usually (GPT + UEFI) go hand in hand and This is compulsory for Windows), while optional for others (eg. Linux). When considering convert disk to GPT disk, make sure that your computer’s motherboard supports UEFI boot mode.

Lots of info regarding disk partitioning if you google or watch Youtube vids on the subject.
So what I should do is convert my SSD into a GPT disk using the GUID Partition Table?
I want to find tutorials on youtube any keyword?

I have a Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB SSD
I want to install windows 10 to this SSD, but it keeps saying,
"Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu."

I really need help thank you.
Is this SSD brand new ?
Do you see the SSD in your Bios ?
Note that this SSD is not on the storage QVL for your board
http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/AB350 Pro4/#Storage

If you do not see it in the bios there could be a compatibility problem.
If you see it, disconnect all other HDD / SSD, and simply boot from the USB stick. On a new not-partitioned SSD the Windows installer creates all partitions in the correct format (GPT in the case of an UEFI motherboard); it is all automatic, you do not have to do anything.
And are you sure that your bios is set to UEFI and not Legacy ?

Reactions: MeanMachine41
Here are the motherboard specs, check where your sata drive is connected; it can not share with the m.2 device. note the * and ** caveats.

4 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s Connectors, support RAID (RAID 0, RAID 1 and RAID 10), NCQ, AHCI and Hot Plug*
  • 2 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s Connectors by ASMedia ASM1061, support NCQ, AHCI and Hot Plug
  • 1 x Ultra M.2 Socket (M2_1), supports M Key type 2242/2260/2280 M.2 PCI Express module up to Gen3 x4 (32 Gb/s) (with Matisse, Picasso, Summit Ridge, Raven Ridge and Pinnacle Ridge) or Gen3 x2 (16 Gb/s) (with A-Series APU and Athlon series APU)**
  • 1 x M.2 Socket (M2_2), supports M Key type 2230/2242/2260/2280/22110 M.2 SATA3 6.0 Gb/s module**

*M2_2 and SATA3_3 share lanes. If either one of them is in use, the other one will be disabled.

**If M2_1 is occupied, PCIE4 will be disabled.
Supports NVMe SSD as boot disks

Samsung has their own nvme driver, I would install that.
Download it here:

Solution