Installing Windows 10 without losing programs

bryson04

Reputable
Feb 25, 2015
So here it is, a very common question that you have probably heard for the thousandth time.

I am going to be installing windows 10 the day after it comes out, but the unfortunate part of this is that you have to reinstall every single program that is on the C drive.

Thank fully I have a lot of Storage so that is not a problem, but I don't really want to do a complete reinstall (I don't have all day you know). More like backing up to a HDD then pasting the programs back into my program files after the install of 10

Please help me in the weird situation, because I will be very proud to have a solution.

Thank you.

Solution
With every release of windows (inluding Windows 10) has an "Upgrade" feature, where you can save all of your documents and what not but simply upgrade your windows.

This upgrade will be available for users on Windows 7 and 8.

Simply pre-register your windows 10 copy (might have the icon in the bottom right) and it'll take care of the rest for you closer to launch day.

Simply put, you can upgrade and not loose your data.

warhead0

Distinguished
With every release of windows (inluding Windows 10) has an "Upgrade" feature, where you can save all of your documents and what not but simply upgrade your windows.

This upgrade will be available for users on Windows 7 and 8.

Simply pre-register your windows 10 copy (might have the icon in the bottom right) and it'll take care of the rest for you closer to launch day.

Simply put, you can upgrade and not loose your data.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
A full reinstall of all your applications is not necessarily needed.
The easy way will supposedly be just an Upgrade through Windows Upgrade. Click, click...wait...poof, Windows 10, Windows 10 with all of your current applications.
Supposedly.

Will it work 100%? Seeing as no one has done it yet, we do not know.
Will it work? Probably.

Why are you wanting to do it right away?
I plan to upgrade a secondary PC, on day one, just to test the system. My main PC won't happen until later.

I'd advise giving it at least a few days. Who know what problems may arise on day one...

SBMfromLA

Distinguished

Actually, your answer is not correct. It is possible to copy a program's install folder and copy it back into place after performing a new install. The trick is to "show hidden folders" from within Folder Options and searching ProgramData, AppData/Local and AppData\Roaming folders to find any corresponding folders to the programs you wish to copy since they would contain the vital data needed. For example, you could go to Program Files x86 and copy the entire folder for your Firefox browser... then go to the hidden folders I mentioned above and copy the "Mozilla" folders located in ProgramData, and in AppData and after performing a reinstall of Windows... simply copy those hidden folders back into their respected locations... and BOOM! ... you have your Firefox browser that's fully functioning and with all the addons and bookmarks.

I just wanted to point that out so you don't give out inaccurate information..

USAFRet

Titan

Some applications work like that.
Many don't.

bryson04

Reputable
Feb 25, 2015

I will wait a full day or week, and see how many problems are found. I've ran the technical preview and it seems rather well made, with few problems. I planned to do that anyways. I hope they don't pull and apple and make the software as bad as iOS was as unreliable during the release on iOS 8.0.0

Some programs will work as you have described.
Some programs will regenerate the above actions you describe by running their EXE file.
Most AAA games, Microsoft Office, Adobe products, AutoCAD. Paint shop, etc.. will all have to be reinstalled to generate the necessary registry keys.

TRENDING THREADS