[SOLVED] Installing windows 10

MatteoCaporale

Commendable
Mar 11, 2020
Hi everybody, I have a pc with windows 10 installed on a 120 GB ssd, I'd like to change the 120 ssd and install windows on a Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2, can I just easily shut down the pc, remove the ssd, install the new one and when I restar the pc I just put the USB to install windows 10 and I choose the new storage or I have to do something more complicated?

Solution
So, if i remove the old ssd with windows installed on it, put the new ssd, install windows and then put the old ssd (with windows still on it) again to format it i won't have problems?

correct, it should all work fine and still boot into your new windows install. then go to disk management and format the old one. be sure it is the old one your formatting though. format the whole drive including any and all partitions on it. these are the boot partitions that do not need to be there anymore as they are now on your new drive. recover all the space then do what you want with the old drive.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
nope its that simple. remove all drives except for the one you want windows on, install windows and then format that other drive to be used for data or whatever.

do not leave the smaller ssd installed or windows installer will see it and set you up as a multiboot which won't work if you remove the smaller drive later.

MatteoCaporale

Commendable
Mar 11, 2020
nope its that simple. remove all drives except for the one you want windows on, install windows and then format that other drive to be used for data or whatever.

do not leave the smaller ssd installed or windows installer will see it and set you up as a multiboot which won't work if you remove the smaller drive later.

So, if i remove the old ssd with windows installed on it, put the new ssd, install windows and then put the old ssd (with windows still on it) again to format it i won't have problems?

I actually have installed Windows 10 on a 500GB NVMe M.2 drive.

Way I did it:
Changed BIOS option to UEFI only, also known as [Disabling} Compatibility Support Module.
The M.2 is the only storage drive connected when installing Windows 10.

Making installation media:
  1. Acquire latest Windows 10 ISO file from Microsoft.
  2. Have available a USB flash drive.
Go to rufus and use their program along with 1+2 above to make bootable UEFI Windows 10 installation media.

Rufus

Insert flash drive and reboot.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador

correct, it should all work fine and still boot into your new windows install. then go to disk management and format the old one. be sure it is the old one your formatting though. format the whole drive including any and all partitions on it. these are the boot partitions that do not need to be there anymore as they are now on your new drive. recover all the space then do what you want with the old drive.

Solution