Question Installing Windows 11 on an old PC... Would you do it?

vonsworld

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2012
I have been using Windows 10 on a 12 year old laptop for some time and it works well.

I noticed that Microsoft have issued a workaround so you can install Win11 on older kit and bypass the hardware requirements. But they don't guarantee they will offer updates for these machines in the future.

Obviously you don't know the answer, but what is your guess? Do you think in time MS will continue to support Win11 on older PC's?

vonsworld

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2012
MS have issued a workaround that bypasses the CPU and tpm checks, so Win11 can be installed on older PC's using the Win11 ISO. This was to satisfy lots of their corporate clients who wanted to evaluate the software but didn't have the necessary hardware.

This is common knowledge, Google for a link 🙂

I have been using Windows 10 on a 12 year old laptop for some time and it works well.

I noticed that Microsoft have issued a workaround so you can install Win11 on older kit and bypass the hardware requirements. But they don't guarantee they will offer updates for these machines in the future.

Obviously you don't know the answer, but what is your guess? Do you think in time MS will continue to support Win11 on older PC's?
Why would you want to change an operating system that you know works well for another system that may not work? Are you that bored? Windows 11 will do absolutely nothing for you on a laptop that old. Windows 10 will be supported until October 14, 2025. If you haven't gotten a new laptop by then, come back a few weeks before then.

USAFRet

Titan
I would not.
No way.

There is NO need to forcefit Win 11 on an otherwise unsupported system.
There is zero performance difference between 10 and 11. (yes, I have both on different systems)

vonsworld

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2012
Why would you want to change an operating system that you know works well for another system that may not work? Are you that bored? Windows 11 will do absolutely nothing for you on a laptop that old. Windows 10 will be supported until October 14, 2025. If you haven't gotten a new laptop by then, come back a few weeks before then.

It's always good to try the latest software and keep up to date. My laptop started life installed with Windows 7, which also worked well, so according to your illogic do you think I should still be using that?

USAFRet

Titan
It's always good to try the latest software and keep up to date. My laptop started life installed with Windows 7, which also worked well, so according to your illogic do you think I should still be using that?
Trying the new OS is all well and good.

But if there is a major hardware issue between old and new. and all reports show zero performance diff....why bother?

To try out the new OS, you can always install it in a VM and play to your hearts content.

Windows 7 is no longer supported for security purposes but its OK to still use it with the understanding that its a non-secure environment and nothing requiring any level of security should be done on such a computer. Windows 10 is still supported for security purposes and will be until 2025. Windows 11 was first touted as being more secure until it was discovered that the same security features are available in Windows 10; you just have to turn them on. Then Windows 11 was touted as having a new Thread Director that increases performance with generation 12 and up cpus. You don't have one of those so it means nothing to you. I have an alternate ssd that I can boot through bios and it has Windows 11. Every week or so I boot it up, run the update and see if there's anything worth noting and using full time. There simply isn't. Its just Windows 10 with all the menus rearranged.

Reactions: Tac 25
MS have issued a workaround that bypasses the CPU and tpm checks, so Win11 can be installed on older PC's using the Win11 ISO. This was to satisfy lots of their corporate clients who wanted to evaluate the software but didn't have the necessary hardware.

This is common knowledge, Google for a link 🙂
well yes those guidelines do exists, but it also says its not recommended and you also need to read this https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...irements-0b2dc4a2-5933-4ad4-9c09-ef0a331518f1

Ralston18

Titan
Yes. And I noted a couple of other similar links.

However, I was interested in the website/source URL actually used by OP.

Too many sites just putting names in the URL path and are not really related to some manufacturer, "Microsoft" for example, at all.

Simply wondering about what the "workarounds" might really be....

Thanks.

Reactions: USAFRet