Installing windows 7 64 bits in new hard drive

ChrisCamm

Commendable
Jan 31, 2017
Hello again community!
I need a little guidance because it's my first time installing an OS.

The thing is, I have a rather old machine (8 years) running windows 32 bits with 4gb Ram, my demand for more ram was growing, so that's why I bought more ram. Of course that means that I need to upgrade my Win7 to 64 bits. I could just format the whole HD and install fresh new but I didnt want to lose all my data, that's why I bought another HD.

TLDR:

I have 8 gb installed, running 32bits installed in an old 320gb HD. Bought another hard drive:

Which would be the procedure in order to install windows 7 64bits in the other hard drive to avoid formating the old one?

Thank you and sorry if someone has asked this before

EDIT: I have just 1 oem key, and it's compatible with both system architectures
EDIT2: I'd also like to make a partition on the new HD with windows installed on it

Solution
the best thing to disconnect your old drive and only have your new hard drive connected during the windows install. after it is installed and activated you can connect your old drive up as a second drive and you can start moving things over. also note you will still have to reinstall any programs you had on the new drive as you cannot just copy the program folders over to the new drive on a new OS and expect them to work. but you will still be able to do this with any media, documents, and pictures
the best thing to disconnect your old drive and only have your new hard drive connected during the windows install. after it is installed and activated you can connect your old drive up as a second drive and you can start moving things over. also note you will still have to reinstall any programs you had on the new drive as you cannot just copy the program folders over to the new drive on a new OS and expect them to work. but you will still be able to do this with any media, documents, and pictures

Solution

rchris

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2014
Install the new drive; temporarily disconnect the old drive.
The installation process will give you the option to make a partition.

FYI: you could also use Microsoft's Windows 10 installation tool. Your OEM Win 7 key will activate the Windows 10 Install.