Installing Windows 7 on eMMC flash memory (GPD Win)

Harrisonj11315

Reputable
Jun 8, 2014
I have had enough with Windows 10, so please do not tell me it is better, etc. I want to install Windows 7 on my GPD Win but I run into the issue where when i select the drive to install it to, selecting the built in emmc gives me the error. It says I needs a driver for the device Intel SD Host Controller. So I went about downloading some supposed intel sd host controller drivers and loading them into the installer, still nothing. Even exported all drivers in windows 10 and loaded them all, still wont let me install to emmc. There very likely is drivers for it out there since i even own another umpc, fujitsu f07c, that uses emmc memory and runs windows 7.

Solution

Trying to use win 10 drivers on 7, unlikely to work, other way around maybe it would work.
wait you're trying to install windows 7 on an ARM cpu device? I suspect your version of windows 10 is some RealTime version not a x86/64 version which is why you can't install win7 (there are no win7 arm devices, so drivers or a non x86 version of win7 doesn't exist).

EDIT - and even if it is a x86/64 platform, I highly doubt there are win7 drivers for it, as that's a pretty specific mobile platform. BTW: the drivers windows is looking for are RAID/ACHI drivers, not "hard drive/ssd" drivers.

Harrisonj11315

Reputable
Jun 8, 2014

read original post.

Harrisonj11315

Reputable
Jun 8, 2014

No it should be pretty easy to get the drivers to work for it, they all install on windows 7 as i have tested on a vm. Just the sd host controller issue remains.

Harrisonj11315

Reputable
Jun 8, 2014

Also they are not specific drivers added in oem, the sd host controller drivers are native to windows 10. Windows 7 simply did not get them.

I've reviewed it, still wondering why you are doing it, transferring to a heavier OS that needs more resources.

Harrisonj11315

Reputable
Jun 8, 2014
I also must say i have exported the sd host controller drivers from windows 10 and tried to load them into the install window when it asks to load drivers but it says it can not find any device drivers in the folder i select with them in it.

Harrisonj11315

Reputable
Jun 8, 2014

Actually it is the other way around, windows 10 is a much worse operating system for devices such as this. The amount of background programs, etc running literally cripple its performance. Even in the manual its self, it says to get ideal performance you must go through and make registry changes etc, it actually outlines a bunch of things to remove telemetry and adware. Windows 10 is literally a telemetry+ad revenue OS if i can even call it an os.

Trying to use win 10 drivers on 7, unlikely to work, other way around maybe it would work.

Solution

I've done nothing, and see no Ads apart from in browsers where I saw them on win7. As to 'if i can even call it an OS' i have to ask what on earth you are on about.