Installing Windows 7 on external HDD

quad777

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
Hi Guys

Would just like to know if its possible to install the Windows 7 OS on an external HDD and if so how do i do it? I have a Seagate 2TB Expansion desktop External HDD, which i have created 4 partitions, 3 of the 4 partitions are used up so i thought it be kinda cool to have an OS on the External. When i try installing straight onto the external disk, i get an error saying that windows cannot be installed on a USB drive or IEE 1394. Any ideas on how i can get the OS installed?

Would creating an image with Ghost or Acronis work?

Much Appreciated

Solution
Yeah, like xttony said, unless you have windows 7/8 professional you won't be able to make a "portable" install of the OS... which is kinda a shame.

You also will have a LOT of issues if you, say, change the USB port the external drive is plugged into. It's just too much of a hassle to be worth the slow, crappy performing benefits.
Yeah, like xttony said, unless you have windows 7/8 professional you won't be able to make a "portable" install of the OS... which is kinda a shame.

You also will have a LOT of issues if you, say, change the USB port the external drive is plugged into. It's just too much of a hassle to be worth the slow, crappy performing benefits.

Solution

Prankstaq

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014

good day
I have a probleme with this instalation .When it asks me to choose active partrion and i select c: it gives me a error that says partion C: is not writable?can you help please

Prankstaq

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
good day
I have a probleme with this instalation .When it asks me to choose active partrion and i select c: it gives me a error that says partion C: is not writable?can you help please

John Sagan

Reputable
Feb 7, 2015
I know this is a year late, but I was just looking for a solution for this same issue when the hard drive got wiped when installing linux. It doesn't have a dvd drive, and for some reason I could not use a bootable Windows USB install.

Create a new virtual machine without a virtual hard drive. Plug in your USB stick and format it to NTSF. Connect it to the virtual machine (you may need to go into disk manager first and put it 'offline'). Then add your Windows install disk as a virtual disk to the virtual machine. When you turn on the VM, it should boot to the virtual disk and allow you to install to the physical hard drive it sees. Since it's in a virtual machine, it sees the USB drive as a local hard drive and doesn't throw the error.

imaginashawn

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2011

Very confusing instructions at that site. He doesn't even identify the first package to download, just says 'download this zip' so that as you continue on working with it and other files, you can't tell them apart!