Installing Windows 7 on laptop drive

shuck

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
The drive on my laptop when down so I got a new one and since I have 7 on a disk thought I would put it on the new drive. So I plugged in my drive when to bios set the boot order to go from the CD/DVD rom first and a screen came up that said bootmgr missing hit ctr-alt-del. So I tried using the recovery disks that came with the computer and the same think, it won't boot from the rom drive.

So I put the drive in my PC and it showed up fine and worked perfectly. So I was wondering can I plug the laptop drive into my PC and install windows 7 on it while it is plugged into my pc without messing up the windows that is installed on my PC? When I put the 7 disk in my PC it shows up just fine like it should so I was wondering if this is possible or if it would hurt anything on my PC?

inn0v8

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
You can install another OS on a completely different drive as long as it is IDE/SATA...

USB will not work...

One issue you will face when doing this is that bootmgr will now be on your primary drive... So all your boot entries will be located there...

Keep this in mind...

Also try Microsofts Windows 7 USB loader tool, it's faster and won't give you read errors...

shuck

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011

The new drive is SATA, it is a direct replacement for the one that went bad, when I hook it up to my PC I am using a power connector from my PC and a SATA cable, then I just plug it back into my laptop with the SATA cable in the factory place, I am not using USB at all.

whirlednews

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
I have a similar question, I don't mean to thread jack but I don't want to start a new thread either. I just bought an ASUS G74SX XN1 laptop and my main reason for getting this particular version was because it had an extra empty hard drive bay which I can place the SSD from my desktop in. I have Windows 7 Home Premium on both the new drive and the SSD, can I just take the SSD from my desktop, plug it into the laptop, set the bios, load drivers and be good or will that not work?
Thanks in advance!

inn0v8

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
Whirlednews, yes you can take your other SSD from the desktop and plug it in, change your boot priority in the BIOS to make the SSD the first boot device then be on your way. However you will always have to do this as both HDD and SSD each have their own bootmgr for Win 7... Don't forget that Windows 7 will want to reactivate as the hardware between your desktop and the laptop are different...