Installing Windows 7 on new PC from USB

Devon_24

Commendable
Dec 20, 2016
Recently bought and built a new pc, and now I'm trying to install windows 7 onto my WD Blue 750gb SSD through USB. The SSD appears in the BIOS, but doesn't seem to be seen by windows. When attempting to install windows 7 it will get to a window saying "A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing," and when using the browse option, the only option is the USB used to boot. I copied the files from the Windows 7 Proff 64-bit CD to the bootable USB because my new pc doesn't have a CD drive.

I even tried using another hard drive from a previous computer, the non-SSD kind. Windows didn't see that hard drive either.

I'm using an ASRock Z170 K4 motherboard, a WD Blue 750gb SSD, and a Seagate Barracuda 1000GB HD.

A few solutions I tried from online were disconnecting and reconnecting the USB during the load driver screen, as well as cleaning and formatting the Hard Drive. Neither worked

Solution
Welcome to the community, @Devon_24!

I'm sorry to hear about the issues you encounter while trying to install Windows 7 onto your WD Blue SSD. I'd strongly recommend you make sure you keep the secondary HDD disconnected while installing the OS to avoid the so-called OS confusion. Afterwards, check the SATA mode for the SSD and make sure it's set to AHCI. Afterwards, try to boot into the Advanced Windows Options from the installation media and use the Command Prompt => type DiskPart => list disk. This should list your WD Blue SSD and then you should be able to format it by typing select disk X where the X is the SSD's number => clean. Here are all the Diskpart commands for more details...

Devon_24

Commendable
Dec 20, 2016

Thank you for the response. I tried both ASRock's USB patcher and Intel's USB Creator Utility listed on the site. Intel's got me to the same error, and the ASRock one came up with an error when patching the USB, so it didn't work either.

Welcome to the community, @Devon_24!

I'm sorry to hear about the issues you encounter while trying to install Windows 7 onto your WD Blue SSD. I'd strongly recommend you make sure you keep the secondary HDD disconnected while installing the OS to avoid the so-called OS confusion. Afterwards, check the SATA mode for the SSD and make sure it's set to AHCI. Afterwards, try to boot into the Advanced Windows Options from the installation media and use the Command Prompt => type DiskPart => list disk. This should list your WD Blue SSD and then you should be able to format it by typing select disk X where the X is the SSD's number => clean. Here are all the Diskpart commands for more details. This method has worked for many people you struggle to make the Windows 7 installation media detect the OS destination drive.

Give it a try and let us know how it goes.
SuperSoph_WD :)

Solution