Installing Windows 7 onto a blank HDD and get 0x80070490 error code!

Frank Jeagar

Honorable
Aug 25, 2013
So I want to install Windows 7 Pro 64bit on this blank HDD for my laptop, I've plugged the HDD into my PC (Which is running Windows 7 HP 64bit) using a Sata - USB cable, and I've got the Windows 7 setup disc I made by burning an iso image to it, but every time I try and install it I get this message:

"Windows Setup cannot find a location to store temporary installation files. to install Windows, make sure that a partition on your boot disk has at least 829 megabytes (MB) of free space."

Error code: 0x80070490

I tried this "Solution" method: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/we-are-unable-to-create-or-save-new-files-in-the/aedb1245-f8f9-42ec-9a0c-1aa932363bbb

...but from what I've found it requires me to have a setup1.box and setup2.box files in order to create an extended setup, which I don't...

Anybody know what I can do/where I can get these files? I hate these moments... They make me feel like a 10 year old trying to work Internet Explorer.

Windows 7 Setup is trying to install temporary files on to the wrong hard drive because it cannot "see" the blank hard drive, and it never will because Windows Setup does not support hard drives connected to a USB port. It will only install to an internal hard drive.

In any case, it's no good installing Windows 7 using one computer, then moving the hard drive to a different computer which has totally different hardware.

You have got to install Windows 7 using the same computer that you want it to run on. You cannot "move" it to a different system by moving the hard drive it's installed on. It will never boot successfully in that scenario.

In other words, if you want to run Windows 7 on your laptop, you must install Windows 7 directly on to your laptop's internal hard drive.

I think that about cover's it. I'm in danger of repeating myself.

Oh, one more thing. Don't install Windows 7 on your laptop unless your laptop manufacturer supports it on that model (I'm referring to driver support). Check their website first.

Frank Jeagar

Honorable
Aug 25, 2013

I have the windows 7 64bit drivers for my laptop, but if what you said is the case why won't it just install the temporary files on my internal hard drive? There is more than enough space.

Whenever I try to boot from my laptop I get a line saying:
">>Checking media presence.....
>>No media present......"