Installing Windows 8.1 Pro, have two hard drives want to keep as much data as possible

Weepleman

Honorable
Feb 4, 2014
Hi, I'm installing windows 8.1 pro as part of upgrading my computer, and I've never installed a new operating system on a machine that already has data on it. I want to keep as much data as possible, especially steam games. I have two hard drives, a 1TB one that the operating system will be installed on, and a 2 TB one that has most of my big programs on it like games. What gets deleted when you install windows 8.1, and what can I keep. Can I move stuff over to my other hard drive before installing to keep the data? Should I plug in my second hard drive before installing windows? Should I wait until everything is working before plugging in the second hard drive? Also, I might not have internet for a day or two once I upgrade and install windows if that matters. Thanks for the help! P.S. If anyone has any tips or anything about installing windows, it would be greatly appreciated, I'm scared of messing things up.

Solution
Hey there, Weepleman!

Good job on upgrading your rig! :) I'm going to try to answer your questions.
Can I move stuff over to my other hard drive before installing to keep the data?
You can transfer all the data that you wish from the 1TB booting HDD to the 2TB secondary HDD, if you wish to keep it. However, keep in mind that this wouldn't include the software, which is recommended to be re-installed after the upgrade of Windows.

Should I plug in my second hard drive before installing windows?
NO! Keep that secondary HDD unplugged until the Windows installation on your booting HDD is completed. Otherwise you might encounter an OS confusion which would require you to re-install Windows AGAIN and might also mess up the...
Hey there, Weepleman!

Good job on upgrading your rig! :) I'm going to try to answer your questions.
Can I move stuff over to my other hard drive before installing to keep the data?
You can transfer all the data that you wish from the 1TB booting HDD to the 2TB secondary HDD, if you wish to keep it. However, keep in mind that this wouldn't include the software, which is recommended to be re-installed after the upgrade of Windows.

Should I plug in my second hard drive before installing windows?
NO! Keep that secondary HDD unplugged until the Windows installation on your booting HDD is completed. Otherwise you might encounter an OS confusion which would require you to re-install Windows AGAIN and might also mess up the partitions on your secondary HDD.

Should I wait until everything is working before plugging in the second hard drive?
Once you've completed the installation with the OS and drivers updates, you should be good to go with the plugging of the secondary HDD. However, keep in mind that the games and some software apps might not be working properly after the OS update, so I'd recommend you to backup your gameplay data and re-install. You can refer to Steam's KB about changing storage devices and backing up your gaming progress.

The lack of Internet connection shouldn't be any problem as long as you have the drivers pack for your motherboard. I guess in the worst case scenario, you'd have to wait for the Internet connection to install the Windows updates.

For some guidelines on the Win 8.1 installation, I'd suggest you a couple of threads that might be useful:
http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-1957725/proper-clean-install-win8-ssd.html
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2299-clean-install-windows-8-a.html

Good luck! Hope I was helpful! :)
SuperSoph_WD

Solution

Weepleman

Honorable
Feb 4, 2014
Thank you so much for the help! I'm backing up the steam games I want, and I've backed up all of my user folder. Thanks for telling me about unplugging my second hard drive, I didn't know I could mess something up!