Installing windows 8.1

Peeno

Reputable
Jul 13, 2015
I just built a new pc and bought windows 8.1 for it.I have a ssd in my pc and when i start up the pc it shows me "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key" now what do i do ? If i have a bootable usb drive with windows 8.1 if i just plug it in the pc will it start to install windows 8.1 automatically ?

Solution
It might, but you are best to go to the boot loader and select the USB drive to boot it. So plug in the USB drive, and then you will hit a button during boot. The button you need to push varies from board to board, but it is usually F2, F11, or DEL. It is common that any one of these keys will take you to the BIOS too, which is fine. In the BIOS you can change the boot order to make the USB drive the first devices it tries to boot from, or you can sometimes go to the boot loader from here.

Sorry if that sounds complicated, but it is actually easier than it sounds. Just give it a try, you will probably find it. After that you will need to run the installation process which is rather straight forward, doesn't need a lot of input, so...
It might, but you are best to go to the boot loader and select the USB drive to boot it. So plug in the USB drive, and then you will hit a button during boot. The button you need to push varies from board to board, but it is usually F2, F11, or DEL. It is common that any one of these keys will take you to the BIOS too, which is fine. In the BIOS you can change the boot order to make the USB drive the first devices it tries to boot from, or you can sometimes go to the boot loader from here.

Sorry if that sounds complicated, but it is actually easier than it sounds. Just give it a try, you will probably find it. After that you will need to run the installation process which is rather straight forward, doesn't need a lot of input, so should be easy.

Solution