Question Installing Windows 95 on "IBM Aptiva 2176-C55" FDISK "error reading fixed disk" / HDD doesn't show up in BIOS

Mar 5, 2019
I have an IBM Aptiva model 2176-C55, And I am unable to format the HDD using the "FDISK command" in DOS 6.22. I get a message saying "error reading fixed disk". I am certain that the HDD is working as I've hooked it to another PC, and I've checked all cable connections from the Drive to the motherboard. The hard drive is a Western Digital WD800BB, and I have the jumpers set to primary. My issue is that I cannot get the PC to detect a HDD in the BIOS, and I cannot run the FDISK command to format the drive. If anyone is familiar with this system, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

COLGeek

Cybernaut
It has been a very long time since I last saw a Windows 95 question. Why Win 95?

Make sure that the BIOS is set to match the HDD settings. Sounds like you may have the HDD set to master/primary and the BIOS could be on "cable select". Configure to match the EIDE/IDE devices you have.

Try different IDE cables and other Molex (power) connectors, if available. Good luck with this "antique".

Reactions: NicholasL
Mar 5, 2019
Thank you for the fast reply! You were right, the Hard Drive's jumper was set to Cable select, and I moved the jumper to "Single". Now I'm up and running with Windows 95! Thanks for the help, you've saved me a lot of time!

To answer your question, I like to restore old PC's as a hobby, I think it's fun to get these machines up and running instead of having them go to the garbage disposal.