Installing windows by key

KiloWolf

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
Ok, I have a installed copy of windows 8 that came with a computer I got from the store. Well as I built my new rig one of the parts I scrapped was the HHD that has windows 8 installed on it. I just got my hands on a samsung 840 EVO SSD and wanted to install windows 8 on it without buying windows 8 agin. using a buddies win 8 install disk can I re install win 8 on my SSD using the product key I all ready have from my copy of windows?

P.S. Sorry if you can't understand this, I suck at wording

Solution

On the activation screen, there should be a phone number for activating by phone. That generally works.
You read a long string of numbers in, it reads a long string back. If all is good, it activates.

KiloWolf

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
I installed windows 8 on my SSD, the key worked like it should. But now once in windows 8 it is telling me that it can't activate windows because the key is linked to another computer. It is the same rig that the key has been being used on. Only dif is it's on my SSD and not my HDD.

USAFRet

Titan

On the activation screen, there should be a phone number for activating by phone. That generally works.
You read a long string of numbers in, it reads a long string back. If all is good, it activates.

Solution

KiloWolf

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013

Yeah, I found this while poking around on my system earlier. But you are right and it did work.