[SOLVED] Installing Windows for the first time

Apr 22, 2020
Hey yall,
So I'm trying to install windows via flash drive. I'm using an Auros Z390 Pro WIFI mobo with BIOS version f12c and this is the first time POSTing the system. I have my flash drive plugged in and I'm in the easy mode BIOS screen. How do I install it from my flash drive? Under "select boot device" I can see both my Sandisk flash stick and my NVME drive but when I try and select and click on my flash stick, it doesn't do anything. Am I even in the right part of BIOS? I'm pretty lost here.

Solution
On an ASUS board, you should be tapping F8 during the post process, which will bring up a one-time boot override, where you'd select to boot from the USB (and the [UEFI] option too!).

I would use one of the 2.0 just to be sure there isn't some driver issue at play

The USB 2.0 recommendation isn't as necessary these days - I haven't had a single problem with using a 3.0 port since ~Z170 boards. Still the 'safe' bet to guarantee no headaches, but not strictly necessary, IMO.

I highly recommend that if you have more than one storage drive and are not explicitly familiar with which one you want to be your destination to unplug the power or data cable to what will be storage (not OS).
100% agree on disconnecting any secondary...

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
You don't install from BIOS.

If your USB is set up correctly, insert into one of the USB ports directly on the back of the mobo. I would use one of the 2.0 just to be sure there isn't some driver issue at play. When you start the computer it should automatically boot from the USB and will walk you through the install process on the destination drive of your choice.
I highly recommend that if you have more than one storage drive and are not explicitly familiar with which one you want to be your destination to unplug the power or data cable to what will be storage (not OS).

Apr 6, 2020
One thing I have notice for the past 5 years was that all other HDD/SSD must be disconnected if you're using M.2 NVME drive. If you don't, windows will fail to creat partition every time. At least this was and still is a current ocurance with my setup now new, just build it last week and the same 5 years ago on my old build.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
On an ASUS board, you should be tapping F8 during the post process, which will bring up a one-time boot override, where you'd select to boot from the USB (and the [UEFI] option too!).

I would use one of the 2.0 just to be sure there isn't some driver issue at play

The USB 2.0 recommendation isn't as necessary these days - I haven't had a single problem with using a 3.0 port since ~Z170 boards. Still the 'safe' bet to guarantee no headaches, but not strictly necessary, IMO.

100% agree on disconnecting any secondary or tertiary drives before installing. Have ONLY the drive you want your OS installed to connected during the process.

One thing I have notice for the past 5 years was that all other HDD/SSD must be disconnected if you're using M.2 NVME drive. If you don't, windows will fail to creat partition every time. At least this was and still is a current ocurance with my setup now new, just build it last week and the same 5 years ago on my old build.

I've never seen Windows fail to create a partition, simply by virtue of being NVMe/M.2 or having another drive connected - what typically happens is certain partitions (boot partition, predominantly) ends up on a secondary/tertiary drive and, if it's no longer present at any point in future for whatever reason, the main drive doesn't know how to boot.

Reactions: punkncat
Solution
  1. Download latest Windows 10 ISO file from Microsoft.
  2. Have USB Flash Drive available

Go to Rufus.com and use 1+2 above with Rufus program to make bootable UEFI Window 10 USB installation media.

Have M.2 NVMe drive as only storage drive connected.
In BIOS [DISABLE] CSM (Compatibility Support Module).

Insert installation media you made and reboot.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Go to Rufus.com and use 1+2 above with Rufus program to make bootable UEFI Window 10 USB installation media.

Sorry Calvin, got to disagree with you there.

There's absolutely no need for the use of Rufus in this situation.
The Media Creation tool will create the bootable USB for you - downloading the ISO, only to then take it to Rufus is just asking for trouble, given the different options available for formating the USB etc.

Reactions: USAFRet
Apr 6, 2020

100% agree on disconnecting any secondary or tertiary drives before installing. Have ONLY the drive you want your OS installed to connected during the process.

I've never seen Windows fail to create a partition, simply by virtue of being NVMe/M.2 or having another drive connected - what typically happens is certain partitions (boot partition, predominantly) ends up on a secondary/tertiary drive and, if it's no longer present at any point in future for whatever reason, the main drive doesn't know how to boot.

Barti, maybe not the partition, but i did try install windows 10 yesterday after messing up my system, didn't disconnect my other two sata drives and once windows go to the installation selection disk process I could see all disks there, even selected the M.2 NVME disk deleted all the partitions to start afresh and then when clicked next windows was coming up with an error which I am not so sure now but I think it was windows cannot creat partition. Definitely there was an error 5 years ago on my old system and same issue even now on a more recent motherboard/chip.

USAFRet

Titan
Barti, maybe not the partition, but i did try install windows 10 yesterday after messing up my system, didn't disconnect my other two sata drives and once windows go to the installation selection disk process I could see all disks there, even selected the M.2 NVME disk deleted all the partitions to start afresh and then when clicked next windows was coming up with an error which I am not so sure now but I think it was windows cannot creat partition. Definitely there was an error 5 years ago on my old system and same issue even now on a more recent motherboard/chip.

" didn't disconnect my other two sata drives and once windows go to the installation selection disk process I could see all disks there, even selected the M.2 NVME disk deleted all the partitions to start afresh and then when clicked next windows was coming up with an error "

And then, you start over with ALL OTHER DRIVES DISCONNECTED.
This is not optional.

Reactions: Barty1884

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
You may have run into an issue @albertc30, not saying you didn't.
As USAFRet mentioned, you did not have the other drives disconnected.

Even when you have additional drives connected, you shouldn't fail to create partitions as you suggest

If you don't, windows will fail to creat partition every time.

It's much, much for common for partitions to end up on random drives. Not an outright 'problem', strictly speaking - but one heck of an inconvenience if you ever have to remove additional drives for whatever reason... so something best to avoid.