Installing windows from USB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 13, 2018
Hey,
I am trying to install windows 10 from usb stick to ASUS E402A laptop (that is using emmc memory).

I have 3 different usb sticks, one is official windows, one is kingston datatraveller ,and one is some random usb 2.x stick. Windows iso file i generated from windows media creation tool and using rufus mounted it on sticks.

I have tried of course first using without legacy bios so using UEFI (GPT partition, FAT-32 and non CSM also tried with and without safe boot and w/wo fast boot). Windows own stick isn't recognized at all (have tried both usb slots), kingston stick is recognized by UEFI but can't be booted to (have tried holding esc and selecting explicitly "UEFI:Kingston bla bla bla") and the last stick is going so far and freezing the bios or freezing the computer in asus logo.

Also in UEFI mode just for the sake of testing, MBR and NFST types are tested (should not work I know)

Then in legacy mode/BIOS (CSM enabled and w/wo safe boot, w/wo fast boot) using now again MBR and NFST all sticks boot to windows installation media but then windows can't be installed to the drive. Except the odd stick that keeps on freezing the computer(usb stick works otherwise tho)

I have tried diskpart and clean and converting to MBR and making it primary, still the error message remains: "Windows Cannot Be Installed to This Disk. This Computer's Hardware May not Support Booting to This Disk."

Apparentely the laptop uses 32 bit since when trying to install the 64 bit windows it will immidiately crash "memory_management"

I checked the latest bios in asus website and it turns out I have the latest one.

Also windows media creation tool to create bootable usb-stick was tested with the same results.

Memory diagnostic is done and there should be no hardware issues since the laptop was fine just before i tried to install windows again on it.

Is there any more suggestions what to do from now?

Nov 13, 2018

As stated the ISO file was generated using that. And also both non-windows official sticks has also been done by that windows media creation tool. It's the same result:

UEFI mode: kingston is showing bot not be able to boot, random stick is freezing everything

Legacy/bios/csm: kingston goes to installation but can't install to the drive, random stick freezes everything.

Also it should not be any other bios setting (there are not a lot) since I have also tried restoring defaults

Nov 13, 2018
MERGED QUESTION
Question from zhinga : "Installing windows from USB"

Hey,
I am trying to install windows 10 from usb stick to ASUS E402A laptop (that is using emmc memory).

I have 3 different usb sticks, one is official windows, one is kingston datatraveller ,and one is some random usb 2.x stick. Windows iso file i generated from windows media creation tool and using rufus mounted it on sticks. both non-windows official sticks has also been done by that windows media creation tool with same results

I have tried of course first using without legacy bios so using UEFI (GPT partition, FAT-32 and non CSM also tried with and without safe boot and w/wo fast boot). Windows own stick isn't recognized at all (have tried both usb slots), kingston stick is recognized by UEFI but can't be booted to (have tried holding esc and selecting explicitly "UEFI:Kingston bla bla bla") and the last stick is going so far and freezing the bios or freezing the computer in asus logo.

Also in UEFI mode just for the sake of testing, MBR and NFST types are tested (should not work I know)

Then in legacy mode/BIOS (CSM enabled and w/wo safe boot, w/wo fast boot) using now again MBR and NFST all sticks boot to windows installation media but then windows can't be installed to the drive. Except the odd stick that keeps on freezing the computer(usb stick works otherwise tho)

I have tried diskpart and clean and converting to MBR and making it primary, still the error message remains: "Windows Cannot Be Installed to This Disk. This Computer's Hardware May not Support Booting to This Disk."

Apparentely the laptop uses 32 bit since when trying to install the 64 bit windows it will immidiately crash "memory_management"

I checked the latest bios in asus website and it turns out I have the latest one. Also it should not be any other bios setting (there are not a lot) since I have also tried restoring defaults

Also windows media creation tool to create bootable usb-stick was tested with the same results.

Memory diagnostic is done and there should be no hardware issues since the laptop was fine just before i tried to install windows again on it.

Is there any more suggestions what to do from now?

Status
Not open for further replies.