[SOLVED] Installing windows in gpt?

amir.bisk

Reputable
Sep 6, 2018
Hi
I've bought a new HDD and want to install win 10 on it. I forgot to check my last HDD partition style ( if it was mbr or gpt).
my motherboard is asus z87-k running with asus uefi utility and my BIOS mode was lagacy (checked in system information before replacing the HDD).
In boot tab there's no option to select either bios or uefi mode.
as I said my bios is asus uefi utility , so is it possible to use Rufus to make a bootable usb drive with "gpt-uefi(non csm)" win 10 on it? and convert the HDD format to gpt.
or I just have to select "mbr-bios or uefi"?

Solution
Do you care what you were using before? (It doesn't really matter since you're installing windows new)

Just quick google - you may be able to follow the above, but that asus z87-k supports UEFI, so updated your bios if needed

Then set up your new drive as GPT (future proof it, why use old technology in 2019)
MBR downsides straight up - slower boot time than GPT, partition limit, etc

Windows 10 supports UEFI by default
UEFI benefits straight up, fast boot times, higher capacity partitions, etc

You should be fine with "gpt-uefi(non csm)"
Do you care what you were using before? (It doesn't really matter since you're installing windows new)

Just quick google - you may be able to follow the above, but that asus z87-k supports UEFI, so updated your bios if needed

Then set up your new drive as GPT (future proof it, why use old technology in 2019)
MBR downsides straight up - slower boot time than GPT, partition limit, etc

Windows 10 supports UEFI by default
UEFI benefits straight up, fast boot times, higher capacity partitions, etc

You should be fine with "gpt-uefi(non csm)"

Reactions: mundial
Solution