[SOLVED] Installing Windows on a used drive without losing data?

Aug 16, 2020
Hi,

I've had problems with freezing / crashing lately and I think the issue is my current system drive.
To check if that's the case, I want to unplug the current one and install Windows on one of my other drives.

My current system drive is a 250 GB SATA SSD, the one I want to install Windows on is a newer 1TB NVMe SSD. However there's already data on the NVMe, which I'd prefer not to lose.

Is there a way to get Windows on my NVMe without formatting? Would cloning be an option or does that require a formatted drive as well?

Would appreciate any help.

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
@USAFRet it's no important data. Mostly games, but as there are some quite large ones on there (Call of Duty: Modern Warfare is around 200GB alone for example) and my connection isn't the fastest, I don't really want to download everything again.

The only thing I could do is to move all the games on my 3rd drive, a 1TB HDD, install Windows + format and move everything back on there. I suppose moving it over takes a while though.
A couple of hours, vs risking losing it all and/or having a weird OS install.

Do it right.

Reactions: uknowumoe

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
It is far far better to move that data OFF the desired target drive.

Sure, it is mostly possible. Partitions, etc.
However...one misclick...all data is gone.

Never go down a road like this with the only copy of your data. Ever.

Aug 16, 2020
@USAFRet it's no important data. Mostly games, but as there are some quite large ones on there (Call of Duty: Modern Warfare is around 200GB alone for example) and my connection isn't the fastest, I don't really want to download everything again.

The only thing I could do is to move all the games on my 3rd drive, a 1TB HDD, install Windows + format and move everything back on there. I suppose moving it over takes a while though.

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013

A couple of hours, vs risking losing it all and/or having a weird OS install.

Do it right.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS