[SOLVED] Installing Windows to new SSD

Legend207

Reputable
Jun 1, 2016
Hi
I am currently using a 1 tb hard disk and very recently got an ssd.
I want to install a fresh copy of windows onto the ssd. I was initially going to clone but based on some of the advise I received here I decided to do a fresh install instead. However I have a few doubts.
After installing windows on the ssd, is it necessary to format my whole 1 tb hard disk or can I just format the old c partition only which is about 200 gb , as I have three other partitions d, e and f on the hdd which just have some documents and music files.
Also will windows still be activated after I do fresh install on the ssd and boot from it?
Thank you.

Solution
OK, clean install on the SSD. With ONLY the SSD connected. Instructions in the link above.

Verify the boot order so that the SSD is first, and the HDD is not in there at all.
Later, reconnect the HDD.
Delete the first 2 partitions. System Reserved and the 194GB C partition.

USAFRet

Titan
Questions:

What SSD are you getting? Make/model/size.
Which OS? Win 10?
Please shoe us a screencap of your current Disk Management window.

Installing Win 10 on a new drive in this same system will not incur any activation issues. It will activate itself once it goes online.

Reactions: Legend207

Legend207

Reputable
Jun 1, 2016
Questions:

What SSD are you getting? Make/model/size.
Which OS? Win 10?
Please shoe us a screencap of your current Disk Management window.

Installing Win 10 on a new drive in this same system will not incur any activation issues. It will activate itself once it goes online.

Thanx for the quick response.
I got a 240 GB crucial bx500 and the OS is windows 10.
I want to install windows on the ssd and use the hard drive as secondary storage.

USAFRet

Titan
OK, clean install on the SSD. With ONLY the SSD connected. Instructions in the link above.

Verify the boot order so that the SSD is first, and the HDD is not in there at all.

Reactions: Legend207
Solution

Legend207

Reputable
Jun 1, 2016

Thank you so much.
I followed the instructions and was able to set up the ssd without any hassle.
The difference in speed and responsiveness is night and day!

Reactions: USAFRet