Installing windows xp on core i5 430m system

Status
Not open for further replies.

shuresh

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
Hello All,

I would like to know if I can install Windows XP on a laptop which has core i5 450m processor (Dell Inspiron 15R).

Thanks in advance.

Manju P. :)

ketrab

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2008
dunno about dell but w/ some sony laptops you would get BSOD. I guess the only way to find out is to try install it.

BEFORE:

Check dell support/drivers for you particular model and see if they are offering xp drivers than you are good to go. IF not than i wish you good luck... may be impossible.

Good Luck,

:)

kg4icg

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
There are issues big time especially when win xp has no support for the stuff on the mb. What I don't get is why would someone take a dual core laptop that's probably has win 7 64 bit on it and install win xp 32 bit on it. Doesn't make since to kill capabilities by downgrading to a OS that no longer has support anymore.

What are you talking about? What doesn't XP support?

sailer

Splendid
I suppose that if Win7 Pro was installed, XP could be installed as a second OS. But unless there is a very good reason, like needing XP for a particular program or piece of hardware, I agree with Logain. Move on the Win7 and enter the world of modern day computing.

XP IS modern day computing. Were not talking about windows 98 here. As of this moment, XP is the most common operating system in computers today. And it hasn't been preinstalled in systems for 3 years.

logainofhades

Titan

Yea the battery in my laptop seems to last a good deal longer with win7. I am only using XP on my laptop because, unfortunately, that is what I am working with for school right now. They have not updated their program to do MCP for Vista or Win 7 yet. Soon as I am done with my current coursework, I am ditching this archaic, old eyesore of an OS and going back to win 7.

Only because people fear change or are too cheap to. I used to be the same way. But after using Vista then Win7, I cannot stand to even use XP anymore.

I take it you have pretty low ram requirements then. Soon as I have the money I am going back to 8gb. I find myself running out of ram only having 4gb.

XP looks better than 7 does. And you need to pay attention more in english class. XP does not fit the definition of archaic by any reasonable standard.

However, 7 does have longer battery life on laptops. Its not a huge gain, but it is there.

Only because people fear change or are too cheap to. I used to be the same way. But after using Vista then Win7, I cannot stand to even use XP anymore.

I own the FULL RETAIL version of 7 Ultimate. Clearly my problem was that I was "too cheap".

After using Vista and 7, I almost returned my copy of 7. Not that its bad, its just not worth the money if you already have XP AND know what you are doing. Windows 7 brings me nothing of consequence that I don't already have on XP.

I take it you have pretty low ram requirements then. Soon as I have the money I am going back to 8gb. I find myself running out of ram only having 4gb.

A problem exacerbated by windows 7 heavy memory usage. XP uses less memory, leaving more for applications.

If your speaking of the 4gb barrier, there is an XP 64.

kg4icg

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006

I think you need to recheck your facts, Win XP uses more memory then Win 7 does and Win XP64 won't even work on that laptop, since there are no Win XP64 drivers for it. Win XP64 was a complete failure for which it was never released mainstream.

Wow! Did you actually say "Win XP uses more memory then Win 7" ??????? Do you have any idea what your talking about? Clearly NO if you think that is the case. It is an empirical fact that Windows 7 uses far more memory than Windows XP. It is a fact even Microsoft does not dispute.

Windows XP 64 wasn't a failure. It never achieved the market penetration of vista or 7 64 because nobody was running into 4 GB barriers in 2005. The transition to 64 bit is being driven by systems running 4gb of memory and up. Its that simple. Thats why almost every OEM machine with 3gb or less still comes with 32 bit OS.

As for xp drivers on his laptop, maybe there are and maybe there are not. But Im going to guess you didn't even bother to look.

Who was it that needed to recheck their facts again?

^+1
The maturity of XP64 is way supar compared to Vista/7 64bit versions. XP-64 was more like an Open-Beta for 64-bit OSes.
Besides, 7 looks much better than XP IMO.

I have used all three side by side and I don't see much of a maturity difference. I think XP 64 has been unjustly tarnished by the troubles in the earlier years. It has come a long way since it was launched.

7 looking better I disagree with, but its a matter of opinion. Fisher price grew on me I guess. But 7 is a big improvement over vista.

logainofhades

Titan

It has nothing to do with heavy memory usage of windows 7. It is called running F@H, 10-20 tabs open in firefox, WoW, IM clients and other programs at the same time. WoW by itself can use over 1gb easily. I have found myself running on the low side of available ram more than I would like. Back when I used to run 2 SMP clients plus a GPU client for F@H it was even worse. There is no way I would use XP 64. Overall poor driver support and would be taking a step backwards. To me XP is an ancient OS that needs to die. It has been around for, what, 9yrs now? In the PC world, that is is an eternity. It is time to move on.

MarkG

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2004

There's a big difference between a desktop using standard components and a laptop using whatever random chips the manufacturer got a good deal on, some or all of which don't have XP support and some of which require modified drivers to run.

I'm looking at buying an i5 laptop and while I have no intention of replacing the pre-installed Vista++ with XP (I'll install Linux and just use Windows for games and video editing), while researching them online I did see a few people complaining that XP wouldn't run at all due to either missing drivers or a plain old BSOD on startup.

Yes it does have a lot to do with windows 7 memory useage. Thats why windows 7 has more than twice the official memory requirements. People do the same stuff with XP that they do with vista and 7. And it usually works better on XP.

XP has been continually upgraded. The XP your using today is not the XP you were using in 2001. More importantly, XP is the best OS microsoft ever produced. Thats why it won't die easily. Its that good.

XP 64 driver issues are mostly myth left over from 5 years ago. As a general rule, if there are Vista and 7 64 bit drivers, there are XP 64 bit drivers also.

Your entitled to your opinion but XP is still in more than half of PC's for a reason. Simply put, its the best MS OS of all time.

True, it can more difficult with a laptop sometimes. But if you know what your doing, its very doable.

greenlines

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009

UGH!

XP was okay for its time but it's time to move on. I tried using that outdated software not to long ago and BARELY ANYTHING WORKED.

notty22

Distinguished

facepalm with getting nostalgic over old software. That installed user base is xp32, not the beta xp64 by the way. As if they can't improve upon programming code ? Whether its security,encryption or enhanced multimedia, DX11? its time to move on.

sailer

Splendid

While I agree that driver issues with XP64 are a myth left over from years ago, I disagree about XP being the best MS OS of all time. XP was great. It solved many problems that Win98 had, and was relatively stable. But it has nowhere near the capabilities of Vista64 or Win7. For the most part, a newer OS is substantially better than the previous one, ME being the exception to that rule. Besides, how would you run DX10, much less DX11, on XP?

Unless you're content to do only the most basic things on a computer, there is little choice except to step into the modern world of computing.

Status
Not open for further replies.