Installing XP and Vista into two separate hard drives

chrysler_12

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2009
I'm going to do my 1st computer build and I'm planning to install Vista Home Premium in a SATA HD that is part of the new system. In addition to this set-up, I want to add a secondary IDE HD from my older computer which has XP Home installed on it.
With that in mind, how can I perform a dual boot on my new system using two separate hard drives? I'm quite familiar with installing dual boot OS only into ONE hard drive, so in my case, I want to install it into two separate drives.

chrysler_12

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2009
can you please be more specific about that?

so in my case, after i finish building my system and installing VISTA in my new hard drive, do I just plug in my other older hard drive with XP installed already?

You repair the boot loader to point at Vista just the same way you would if the two OSs were on the same physical drive. I thought you said you knew how to do this?

Install Vista. Once you're all done, updated, etc, shut down and plug the XP drive back in. Boot to your Vista install disc, and after it's done and you have the prompt - select 'Install'. On the second screen, in the lower left, there is the option to "Repair". Select that, and OK it's questions.

chrysler_12

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2009

How am I supposed to do this? Do I have to obtain the license key again?

btk1w1

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2008
Yes.

I said you may have to re-validate.

If it is an OEM operating system you will be pushing **** uphill.

If it is a full retail release you can retrieve the serial with apps such as SIW or majic jellybean.

If the OS detects a hardware change and you have to get a new key - You'll be given a (toll free in the US) telephone number. Tell the Call Center Gnome on the other end you had to repair your computer, that the OS is now telling you the licence is invalid, and can you please have a new key. Takes 5 minutes.

chrysler_12

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2009

Wow. I hope that I don't have to go through this issue. The XP installed in my old system came in pre-installed when I bought the computer like 5 years ago and it didnt come with any back-up OS cd.

chrysler_12

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2009
Just goin back to the topic and ignoring the issue of re-validation, here's the summary of what I have to do...

1. Build the new system, including the new hard drive.
2. In the new hard drive, install VISTA.
3. Connect the 2nd hard drive that has XP pre-installed already.
4. Reboot. Boot via Vista installation cd.
5. Install and select "Repair".

Does this sound right?

Yes

Strong Recommendations: (1) Back up all your data before starting. (2) If your old (XP) PC is still operable, use Easy Transfer to move your data to Vista prior to setting up the Dual Boot. (3) Very Important Since you are taking it from another(older) computer, understand that your XP install may not know what to do with the new components and that you may (likely will!?!) have to blow out the existing system drivers and install ones appropriate for the new HW

Or - You can just network the two and not worry about Dual Booting.

chrysler_12

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2009
We'll see how this one works out for me. If driver issues give me trouble, I'll probably just use the old hard drive as a storage and just solely run Vista. I don't even know why I'm planning to do a dual-boot in the first place... I think it's just for the sake of me having a different option.