installing xp, bootmgr missing

9al9ola

Reputable
Jul 22, 2015
Hi all fellow computer geeks!, so this is my problem:

im trying to install windows XP-sp3 with a booatble USB (created with rufus) to a USB drive on a computer that already has win7 and win10 installed (on sata hard drive), the thing is whenever i boot from the usb xp installer i get a "bootmgr missing, ctrl+alt+supr to restart" error, can't access the XP installation process, any ideas on how can i fix or do this?

Just in case so u know, im doing this just so i can use an old Lifeview bt848 tv card no longer supported by newer OS

Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks all!

Solution
I mean wiping the hard drive/SSD you plan to install to. Also disconnect any other hard drives/SSDs so there is zero risk of installing to the wrong one.

As far as new cards, there's plenty out there, some even connect via USB. The price varies by a good margin. Just look at the specs to make sure it handles your region's TV format (NTSC, PAL, SECOM, etc.)

Here's a link to a Newegg search to get you started:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Description=tv%20capture%20card&Submit=ENE

Saberus

Distinguished
If you have the time, wiping the drive first should eliminate traces of the other OS so you can start fresh. (Maybe DBAN or the like, over the reformat options when booting to the windows installer)

That said, is there any reason that prevents you from getting a newer TV capture card that will work with a newer OS that not been end of support for nearly a year and a half?

9al9ola

Reputable
Jul 22, 2015

thanks for ur reply mate
did u mean wiping w7 and w10 from sata drive or just rewiping the USB im using as a XPboot installer?

well ur right, i guess im doin this just because of some emotional atachment i have with this tv card, i used it since '99 if im not mistaken, good ol' times...

can u recommend any new TV cards?

Saberus

Distinguished
I mean wiping the hard drive/SSD you plan to install to. Also disconnect any other hard drives/SSDs so there is zero risk of installing to the wrong one.

As far as new cards, there's plenty out there, some even connect via USB. The price varies by a good margin. Just look at the specs to make sure it handles your region's TV format (NTSC, PAL, SECOM, etc.)

Here's a link to a Newegg search to get you started:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Description=tv%20capture%20card&Submit=ENE

Solution

9al9ola

Reputable
Jul 22, 2015

well i guess ill just forget about this crazy idea, too much troubles to run a 10+years old component, thanks for ur time and patience!

9al9ola

Reputable
Jul 22, 2015

That would be nice :D, it's really funny to see the faces specially of the younger peoples, they just can't believe we were really happy with 133mhz and 16mb of ram and stuff like that, we were showing off about having a 10gb hard drive wooow. ohh the ol'days. And of course, i was joking with the burning thing XD, have lots of old components, ati rage II+ anyone?

9al9ola

Reputable
Jul 22, 2015

A freakin Tandy?? omg, i don't know about me, but you?? u should do the shiny glass case thing man XD

9al9ola

Reputable
Jul 22, 2015

Im sure it did, i remember seeing them in some offices where my dad worked, they looked cocky with the double floppy disk drives, don't know if they were 3 1/2 or 5 1/4; at that time i was a kiddo and still didnt have a pc XD!!
The first one we had in our house was a pentium I but im not sure, i remember it had a turbo button and a cpu freq indicator XD, but the first one they got for me was a Pentium II celeron, still remember the first time i encouraged myself to open the case XDD, the old video game card looking processor omg XDD