Installing XP on new computers

Status
Not open for further replies.

wgm3155

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
I have a new computer with an intel i3 quad core processor. I have tried to install windows xp several diferent ways but each time windows starts during installation, it crashes into a blue screen error message which states "a problem has been detected and windows has shut down to avoid damage to your computer." Tech info: stop 0x0000007B (0xF78D2524,0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000) Does anyone know why?

wgm3155

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
Thanks for that input, but here is the solution:

Installing Windows XP on computers running Windows 7
(Drivers)

Customer: I need drivers for my computer so I can install Windows XP on this machine. Are they available from ‘DEALER’?
For instance, I need a driver for the network card in this computer. When I installed Windows XP, it would not connect to the internet.

Dealer: I understand that you have installed Retail version of Windows XP and need drivers for it. Correct?

Customer: Yes, I installed it on a separate HD so I wouldn't mess with the Windows 7 installation.

Dealer: Please note that, ‘DEALER’ does not recommend changing or upgrading the Operating System (OS) to a retail version. They support only the pre-installed Operating System.

Customer: I needed XP so I could run a Cad program that will not run under Windows 7.
(Note: To do this I switched the HD mode from RAID to IDE in the system BIOS. Standard Windows XP does not have a RAID driver and will not install otherwise.)

Dealer: First of all, Create Recovery Disc's for your PC. It will be helpful if you need to reinstall operating system that was shipped with your PC.

Customer: But remember, I installed XP on a separate HD so Windows 7 is not affected.

Dealer: Alright, I understand. Just wanted to inform of that it is always recommended to create recovery disc's before proceeding with PC usage.

Customer: Agreed.

(Note: Other computers may require different drivers than those shown below. You will also need drivers for audio and video. Go to device manager in Windows 7 to learn which drivers are needed.)

Dealer: Now, click on the link below to download LAN/Network driver. Let me know when the page is open.

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

Please note that, the above mentioned URL will take you to a non-’DEALER’ Web site. ‘DEALER’ does not control and is not responsible for information outside of the ‘DEALER’ Web site.
Then move along "Network Interface Controllers" -> 10/100/1000M Gigabit ethernet -> PCI Express and -> Click Software.

(Note: Check with Dealer Support if you have questions regarding proper device drivers. Trial and error can be dangerous and/or invalidate warrantees)

Once you click "Software" as suggested.
You will get on to a page with title :
Software: Drivers & Utilities
"RTL8111B/RTL8168B/RTL8111/RTL8168
RTL8111C/RTL8111CP/RTL8111D(L)
RTL8168C/RTL8111DP/RTL8111E
RTL8105E"

Okay, once you are on that page download the drive along with description "WinXP 32/64 and Win2K Auto Installation Program (SID:1396125)".
This will take care of the driver issue. (For HP Computers)

Customer: It should be noted that you must always switch between RAID/IDE before switching HD’s because each OS is dependent on these settings. Windows 7 uses HD RAID mode and XP uses HD IDE mode. If you simply replace Windows 7 with XP, this is not an issue.

Solution to the RAID/IDE problem)

Dealer: Let me provide more information on Raid/IDE mode that you mentioned.
Generally, some of the new PC's will not have the option to change the mode from BIOS as you said.
In that case, we have an alternative option. I will share the information regarding it. Please give me a moment.
The alternative solution is to integrate the SATA driver into Windows XP Disc itself. The process is called "Slipstreaming."
Here is the information:

http://www.wikihow.com/Slipstream-Your-Sata-Drivers-Into-a-Windows-Xp-Installation-Cd

Please note that, the above mentioned URL will take you to a non-’DEALER’ Web site. ‘DEALER’ does not control and is not responsible for information outside of the ‘DEALER’ Web site.

Customer: Does this allow XP to operate in the RAID mode?

Dealer: Yes, this would work fine.

Customer: Thanks, that may resolve the previous issue of disconnecting HD's and allow multiple OS's which I know you do not support, but it is sometimes necessary.

(Note: This solution works fine and resolves all installation issues; at least it does on HP Computers. Again, you need to check device manager in Windows 7 under HD Controller to determine the correct RAID driver. Afterwards, use the following method to install XP in a dual OS configuration.)

Procedure for installing Windows XP with Windows 7
(Note: Back up your data first.)

Dealer: First, you need to shrink the C: drive and create a new partition and you need to install Windows XP in the new partition drive. If you are doing anything wrong then your PC will not boot and you will lose all the data in the PC. You may need to start from scratch.

Customer: How do I create the partition without losing all my current data?

Dealer: 1.Click on start > Right-click on Computer and select Manage. In Computer Management, expand Storage and select Disk Management.

2. Right-click the primary partition ( C drive the one you need to make space on) and select Shrink Volume

Note : You need to have minimum of 20 GB space to install Windows vista for example, so you need to choose more than that depend on the available hard drive space. Also you need to enter this value in MB's in shrink volume page.

3. After creating the partition, then go to BIOS, change the boot order to CD/DVD drive as first bootable device

4. Insert XP disc > restart the PC> boot from the disc, go ahead with running installation, choose the newly created partition to install XP file > This will ask to format the drive > Proceed with formatting > Once it completes > go ahead with installation.

5. After completing installation, restart the PC> you will get dual boot menu at startup > choose the OS that you want to login.

Note: Windows 7 uses the same bootloader, Windows 7 boot entry is an addition to the existing bootloader rather than a replacement as with a Windows XP dual booting scenario.

6. However, after completing windows XP installation and restarting system, you will directly boot into Windows XP. That’s because XP writes its bootloader over Windows . So, we need to restore the Win 7 bootloader.

NOTE:
To create, edit or merge partition, you can download and use this free third party partitioning software:

http://download.cnet.com/Easeus-Partition-Master-Home-Edition/3000-2248_4-10863346.html?tag=mncol;pop&cdlPid=10982635

7. Perform the steps below to repair Windows 7:

8. Turn on the computer and press the F8 key repeatedly as the computer starts

9. --An "Advanced Boot Options screen opens

10. --Select Repair Your Computer and press Enter.

(Note: If you do not see the ‘Repair Your Computer’ screen, simple use the repair disk you created and select ‘Startup Repair’)

11. --Restart the PC, this will fix the common boot issues of windows 7.

12. --After repairing, your system will restart and boot into Windows 7.

(Note: You should get a multiple OS selection screen, if so skip steps 13-17.)

13. --Now we need to download and Install "EasyBCD" on your Windows 7 to add boot entry for XP

14. Download and install EasyBCD from the link provided below ( free software):

http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1

15. --Launch the app and go to Add/Remove Entries. Under "Add an Entry" open the Windows tab and select the Type as "Windows NT/2k/XP/2k3"

16. --Type or give name as "Windows XP " and click on ‘Add Entry’. Then select Save.

17. Restart the PC, you’ll be presented with two options, Windows 7 and Windows XP.

The URL above all will take you to a non HP Web site. ‘DEALER’ does not control and not responsible for information outside of the ‘DEALER’ Web site.

Customer: Is it still possible to lose data during this process or is it fairly safe?

Dealer: It is fairly safe but you should follow the steps exactly as given above.
If you are not comfortable then please contact nearest geek squads or Authorized service center.

Status
Not open for further replies.