Installling a driver on XP

Just got XP and uninstalled the old 9700pro driver to make way for a new
one, but eveytime I reboot the PC it just puts the old one back on. Does
anyone know how to stop it?

Thanks

kev

N00b Master wrote:

> Just got XP and uninstalled the old 9700pro driver to make way for a new
> one, but eveytime I reboot the PC it just puts the old one back on. Does
> anyone know how to stop it?
>
> Thanks

tried booting into safe mode?

"Kev" <insomniakev@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> N00b Master wrote:
> >
> > Just got XP and uninstalled the old 9700pro driver to make way for a new
> > one, but eveytime I reboot the PC it just puts the old one back on. Does
> > anyone know how to stop it?
> >
> > Thanks
>
> tried booting into safe mode?

I just tried but it still installed the old one automatically :(

You need to swtich off System Restore first. Did you run the install for the
new drivers, they should replace the old ones.

Rob.

"Mustafa Krap" <herrbimmler@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> You need to swtich off System Restore first. Did you run the install for
the
> new drivers, they should replace the old ones.

I'm afraid that made no difference either :(

> "N00b Master" <littlekid@dadspc.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Kev" <insomniakev@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> new
> Does

> > > tried booting into safe mode?
> >
> > I just tried but it still installed the old one automatically :(

>Does anyone know how to stop it?

You're supposed to uninstall the ond ones first, as per the instructions

But then you might get into the VGASafe fiasco (like I always seem to), which the instructions dont
mention.

fun fun fun.

"Sham B" <shamb@easynet.co.ukNOSP> wrote in message

> >Does anyone know how to stop it?
>
> You're supposed to uninstall the ond ones first, as per the instructions
>
> But then you might get into the VGASafe fiasco (like I always seem to),
which the instructions dont
> mention.

I did uninstall them! I never had this trouble on my old 98

:O

> I did uninstall them! I never had this trouble on my old 98

No. you're supposed to uninstall them completely from the system, not just stop the hardware from
using them (which is what I think you mean by "I did uninstall them!"). you have to go into
add/remove programs and remove them there as well, so that XP cant use them on auto next time you
reboot, which is what is happening.

Old win98 was never that clever. Problem is that ometimes WinXP is too clever for its own good ;)

Take care.

> > I did uninstall them! I never had this trouble on my old 98
> >

> No. you're supposed to uninstall them completely from the system, not just
stop the hardware from
> using them (which is what I think you mean by "I did uninstall them!").
you have to go into
> add/remove programs and remove them there as well, so that XP cant use
them on auto next time you
> reboot, which is what is happening.

That's how I am uninstalling them!

Di Farker wrote:
> "Sham B" <shamb@easynet.co.ukNOSP> wrote in message
>>

>>> I did uninstall them! I never had this trouble on my old 98
>>>

>> No. you're supposed to uninstall them completely from the system,
>> not just stop the hardware from using them (which is what I think
>> you mean by "I did uninstall them!"). you have to go into add/remove
>> programs and remove them there as well, so that XP cant use them on
>> auto next time you reboot, which is what is happening.
>
> That's how I am uninstalling them!

When you uninstall the old drivers and reboot, XP will find New
Hardware, as you mentioned. You need to CANCEL that, and it will come
up at least twice. You still need to cancel the new hardware wizard,
any time it comes up. Then run the catalyst installer.
McG.

kev

> When you uninstall the old drivers and reboot, XP will find New
> Hardware, as you mentioned. You need to CANCEL that, and it will come
> up at least twice. You still need to cancel the new hardware wizard,
> any time it comes up. Then run the catalyst installer.
> McG.

But if default drivers are in cab files somewhere it'll install them.

shawk

> Di Farker wrote:
> > "Sham B" <shamb@easynet.co.ukNOSP> wrote in message

> >> No. you're supposed to uninstall them completely from the system,
> >> not just stop the hardware from using them (which is what I think
> >> you mean by "I did uninstall them!"). you have to go into add/remove
> >> programs and remove them there as well, so that XP cant use them on
> >> auto next time you reboot, which is what is happening.
> >
> > That's how I am uninstalling them!
>
> When you uninstall the old drivers and reboot, XP will find New
> Hardware, as you mentioned. You need to CANCEL that, and it will come
> up at least twice. You still need to cancel the new hardware wizard,
> any time it comes up. Then run the catalyst installer.
> McG.

The other thing might be to delete the unpacked driver from the ATI folder
on your hard-drive - cant load the buggers if it cant find em. Shaun

On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 08:32:53 GMT, "Di Farker"
<diannefarker@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>"Sham B" <shamb@easynet.co.ukNOSP> wrote in message
>>

>> > I did uninstall them! I never had this trouble on my old 98
>> >

>> No. you're supposed to uninstall them completely from the system, not just
>stop the hardware from
>> using them (which is what I think you mean by "I did uninstall them!").
>you have to go into
>> add/remove programs and remove them there as well, so that XP cant use
>them on auto next time you
>> reboot, which is what is happening.
>
>That's how I am uninstalling them!

Di, I'm not that familiar wih XP, but what happens when you reboot
after uninstalling the drivers? If XP works similarly to other M$
OSs, you'll get the Hardware installation wizard come up and offer to
look for new drivers. You should _not_ let it run: cancel out
immediately. Then your OS should install the default Windows VGA
drivers, which will allow you to install new ones.

Can be a good idea to run the cat-uninstaller.exe from
http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/misc/catalystutils.html after
you've uninstalled your drivers. Cleans the old Ati software and
driver remains off your system, which generally seems to forestall any
conflicts your new drivers might have with the remains of the old.

patrickp