[SOLVED] Instant File Corruption

Generation Blue

Honorable
Jul 10, 2014
Hey guys just built a new-to-me build with mixed old and new parts and am having some problems. OS install worked fine, but when I installed a few programs I noticed that applications seemed to get corrupted and self-repair/reinstall themselves after every restart or even after a simple sign out/in. Then I tried installing a game from steam (FNV) and noticed that the second after a fresh install, the game would fail to validate using the steam file validation tool, This is 100% reproducible after many reinstallation's. I ran System File Checker from CMD and there were already corrupted system files that needed to be repaired, even on a fresh OS.

Things I have tried to no avail:
  • Recreating and reinstalling windows with a different USB drive and system with a fresh ISO
  • Trying each of the two ram sticks individually (both exhibit the same problems)
  • Using a different SATA cable for the SSD
  • Using different SATA ports on the motherboard
  • SFC /scannow repair
  • CrystalDiskInfo says SSD condition is "good"
  • Disabling wifi and using ethernet for installs
  • Factory default motherboard settings
I'm just curious what you guys would test next. My bet would be on something being wrong with the RAM or SSD but it just seems pretty unlikely that both sticks are faulty, and I have used this SSD in the past without problem. So that would leave the motherboard or cpu? and I'm not experienced enough to know if data corruption is even likely to be caused by those components. Any help is greatly appreciated.

BUILD:
  • H81M-C Asus Mobo
  • 4GBx2 RAM
  • G3258 CPU
  • RX480 GPU (used previously without issue)
  • WD SATA 500GB SSD (used previously without issue)
  • 450w EVGA bronze PSU (new)

Last edited:
Solution
D
Test ram using Memtest86 off a usb boot drive. Let it run for full passes for each individual stick, test them one at a time and after four passes if there’s zero errors than your memory is OK
D

Deleted member 14196

Failing hdd or ssd? Also maybe your power supply is too weak for your system

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 14196

Test ram using Memtest86 off a usb boot drive. Let it run for full passes for each individual stick, test them one at a time and after four passes if there’s zero errors than your memory is OK

Reactions: Generation Blue
Solution

Generation Blue

Honorable
Jul 10, 2014
Thanks for your help on this. I ended up borrowing an old ddr3 stick from a friend and that has fixed the issues. It seemed extraordinarily unlikely that both of these ram sticks are both faulty but there you go. Funny thing is i did run memtest86 for a while and there were no errors after about 30 minutes, where previous faulty sticks showed up within the first few seconds. Should have let it go longer.