Question Instructions for old HDD in new build

deundrae20

Commendable
May 10, 2018
Simply put I'd like to use my current HDD in my new build. completely wiped of everything.
If I can keep the OS (Windows 10) that'd be cool if not that's fine I have a windows USB

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Simply put I'd like to use my current HDD in my new build. completely wiped of everything.
If I can keep the OS (Windows 10) that'd be cool if not that's fine I have a windows USB

Unless the hard drive is ancient and has a different connection theres no reason this won't work. SATA has been commonly used for well over 10 years.

And yes you are going to want a fresh Windows 10 install on that drive for new hardware.

So as for instructions, what do you need? Simply install it in the case and plug it in to power and SATA on the motherboard. Boot your system with the Windows USB, and select the drive, clear all data when it prompts you, create a new drive partition and install Windows.

deundrae20

Commendable
May 10, 2018
Unless the hard drive is ancient and has a different connection theres no reason this won't work. SATA has been commonly used for well over 10 years.

And yes you are going to want a fresh Windows 10 install on that drive for new hardware.

So as for instructions, what do you need? Simply install it in the case and plug it in to power and SATA on the motherboard. Boot your system with the Windows USB, and select the drive, clear all data when it prompts you, create a new drive partition and install Windows.
any instruction on how to completely wipe it clear of everything OS included

deundrae20

Commendable
May 10, 2018
When you boot up your system with the Windows USB and it asks you where you want to install it, you will have the option to delete your partitions on the drive. Do that and it will wipe the drive, then you will create a new partition to install it.
That won't ruin anything right? so I don't format anything just plug it in, boot up my new build and erase the partitions? is this safe?

deundrae20

Commendable
May 10, 2018
I should point out I'm switching from an pentium cpu to an AMD. so just to recap simply remove my harddrive install it in new build boot up new build, and delete/reset partitions on hdd

USAFRet

Titan
Read here for a full clean install in the new hardware:

Section II, Step 6 & 7 speak to wiping the old drive during this process.

Also:
For the OS activation, read and do this before you change any parts:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change