[SOLVED] Insufficient Power Supply on GPU PWM Fan Header

Aug 12, 2021
Kinda new here, hoping you guys could help, some of you might've already experienced the same thing.

Problem is my fan stopped spinning. The gpu detects the temps but it won't ramp up the fans even when it's already at around 90°C, and my only solution was to create a custom fan profile in MSI Afterburner. It will not spin at 50-70% fan speed but only at max 100%, and it spins like a turbine. One of the fans starts spinning at 80%. What I did was to set the fan speed to 100% once it reaches 55°C because if I set it too high, it will turn on & off really hard; my max temps when playing is 65-75°C.

Is there a way around this? When I'm in BIOS the fans are completely dead and there's no way for me to ramp up the fans since I use afterburner to control it. Worst part is when I'm installing windows, the fans are dead and it's so hot enough to burn your skin, and the system crashes with my Windows installation gone. I had to point a USB powered blower fan to cool it while installing windows, till it was successful.

What I have in mind right now, is to plug in the GPU fans to the MOBO PWM header, and control it. Problem is there's no setting in my BIOS that shows it could monitor GPU temps. Second is to buy a pwm fan header with an independent heat sensor probe, and stuck it in the GPU heat sink. Plug in the GPU fans there, and that'll prolly solve my problem.

If you have any other ideas please let me know. Thanks!

Solution
It all worked out more than I expected. I didn't have to use the Speedfan software, and just used the 2 PWM wire (green and blue) from the GPU.
20210903-135750.jpg

All the things I needed and bought was a (1) fan hub with PWM slot,

20210903-135846.jpg

and (2) 1800RPM 120mm fan.

20210903-135739.jpg

Everything works out perfectly now, and the only problem was I still needed to rely on Afterburner's custom fan profile. The GPU's pwm fan hub works perfectly, and the problem was its own fan settings. I tried turning off the Afterburner with just the GPU monitoring the temps, and it just goes up to 50% fan speed at 60°C ? Well, I don't like that...

LazerTechX

Distinguished
May 3, 2014
What is your GPU and how old is it?

If its years old there is a good change that the GPU fan is on its way out and the solutions I recommend would be either to get a dead GPU the same as yours and source the fan from that, buy the fan from amazon or somewhere that sells the fans(Usually its an OEM like Delta and you can find the serial number inside the fan shroud or the fan), or just remove the fan shroud and zip tie a 120MM fan to it and plug it in the motherboard.

Aug 12, 2021
What is your GPU and how old is it?

If its years old there is a good change that the GPU fan is on its way out and the solutions I recommend would be either to get a dead GPU the same as yours and source the fan from that, buy the fan from amazon or somewhere that sells the fans(Usually its an OEM like Delta and you can find the serial number inside the fan shroud or the fan), or just remove the fan shroud and zip tie a 120MM fan to it and plug it in the motherboard.

It's a GTX 680 Lightning from MSI, very old but still going strong. Not really playing heavily on it but mostly for work from home stuff. I've tested the fans and they're fine when plugged into the motherboard, both spinning at specified fan speed.

LazerTechX

Distinguished
May 3, 2014
It's a GTX 680 Lightning from MSI, very old but still going strong. Not really playing heavily on it but mostly for work from home stuff. I've tested the fans and they're fine when plugged into the motherboard, both spinning at specified fan speed.
If it works when plugging it to the motherboard, you can use a software like Speedfan to link the fan speed to the GPU temps

Reactions: l3ankai

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I spend some thoughts and investigations in what would happen if the psu doesn't supply enough power to the sli system. Apart from bluescreens and systemcrashes (self evident) I read some things about graphics cards throttling down their clocks if needed (which would mean a performance decrease caused by the psu). So i asked myself how can you notice this behavior, are there any pop up messages generated by the drivers? Are there any tools to analyze things like that?

Start your own thread with all your specs; don't hijack another random thread.

Aug 12, 2021
It all worked out more than I expected. I didn't have to use the Speedfan software, and just used the 2 PWM wire (green and blue) from the GPU.
20210903-135750.jpg

All the things I needed and bought was a (1) fan hub with PWM slot,

20210903-135846.jpg

and (2) 1800RPM 120mm fan.

20210903-135739.jpg

Everything works out perfectly now, and the only problem was I still needed to rely on Afterburner's custom fan profile. The GPU's pwm fan hub works perfectly, and the problem was its own fan settings. I tried turning off the Afterburner with just the GPU monitoring the temps, and it just goes up to 50% fan speed at 60°C ? Well, I don't like that. Dunno what's the problem though. I think the problem is with the GPU and I don't like fiddling with its firmware; it's already 10yrs old and I'd rather leave it the way it is right now and just rely on afterburner. When I'm off windows and doing some memtest and all sorts of that, it keeps my GPU cool now. Just PERFECT!

Posting this for people having the same problem/issue as me. Hope this helps!

Solution