Insufficient Video Card - Gaming Issues

Durt

Reputable
Jun 6, 2014
Just recently, several games that I normally play will not run for me anymore. For example, when I run the MMORPG "Rift", it errors out saying "Insufficient Video Card". At first, I thought it was just the game and started working with tech support to rectify. But, then I noticed I couldn't play several games that I just played maybe 4-5 weeks ago with no issues.

Here is some basic info on my computer (it's not much but fits the minimum or more requirements for all the games I play):

• Dell XPS 8300 Vostro 460 Intel LGA1155 Motherboard 0Y2MRG DH67M01 Y2MRG.
• Corsair TX650 PSU
• AMD Radeon 7750 HDMI 1Gb DDR3
• Processor: Intel Core i5 2310 @2.9GHz / 4 Core, 4 Logical Processor(s)
• 8.00 GB RAM

In addition, I've updated all the drivers, I've repaired the games I've been trying to play and I even downloaded a few different versions of DirectX (since some games like version 9 better than newer versions). I'm kind of at a loss.

lodders

Admirable
Suggest you run a couple of tests to see if you have a hardware problem.
Furmark will stress your GPU to 100%
Hyper Pi will run all 4 CPU cores at 100%
If either of them give you an error, you have found your problem

Durt

Reputable
Jun 6, 2014

I've only been able to run the FurMark so far but it just keeps going with no real way to estimate how much longer the test will run. Is there something I'm missing? Been going for about 45 minutes now.

Durt

Reputable
Jun 6, 2014

Unfortunately, this did not rectify the problem. In addition to DLing the DDU, removing the drivers and then reinstalling newest driver...I did the following:

• I uninstalled two games (Rift and LOTRO) from my machine and reinstalled.
    I checked the BIOS to see that the on board graphics was/is disabled.
    I brought up Device Manager and checked to make sure the AMD card was there.
    I opened the CPU and cleaned it out thoroughly.

Feeling like I should definitely be able to play these games but at the same time feel like buying a new card is the easiest resolution.

Uaon

Honorable
Jun 29, 2013

Uaon

Honorable
Jun 29, 2013
Bah I made a long post but didn't work when I posted. Long story short, your gpu meets requirements for Rift,however like most mmos the game has been enhanced to such a point that the recommenced system requirements are no longer the actual requirements. Bare in mind most mmos are cpu bound more so than gpu. On the other hand to be fair, you are overdue a gou upgrade anyway.

From what I've read in this thread, it sounds like your computer is functioning well, it's just that performance in mostly unnamed games plus Rift is either poor or does not even work. Is that right? The fact that Furmark apparently runs without any issues supports this.

You have a 1gb, low end, old, DDR3 videocard. There is not much in gaming that you could reasonably expect to run well with that card. Try running a benchmark, like 3dmark, so you get a score you can compare to other systems like yours. A quick look at the 3dmark website shows Time Spy scores of 485 to 520 for two people with i5 2500/HD 7750 1gb combos.

Durt

Reputable
Jun 6, 2014
Thanks for all the help. It seems like the consensus (even by me) is that I need a new video card.

Since it's been awhile (yes, I actually upgraded the GPU in this computer to the current one - so the prior one was worse)...what are some good budget GDDR5 GPUs you would recommend? I was looking at the following to at least help me out for now while I knock the rust off and start buying parts for a budget gaming system.

Gigabyte Radeon Rx 460 Windforce

CPU
• Socket LGA 1155

Chipset
• Intel H67

Video
• Intel HD Graphics 2000

Memory
• 4x 240-pin DDR3 DIMM Dual Channel 1333/1066 MHz non-ECC, unbuffered (16GB Max)

Expansion Slots
• 1x PCIe x16 (2.0)
• 1x PCIe mini
• 3x PCIe x1

Audio
• Realtek ALC887 – High Definition

Ethernet
• Broadcom BCM577xx (Gigabit

Rear Panel
• 1x VGA Port
• 1x HDMI port
• 4x USB 2.0 Ports