Question Intake or exhaust for radiator?

sodium.in.toilet

Commendable
Nov 21, 2018
I just ordered a 360mm aio and I want to mount it in the top of my case. I have the rosewill culinan which is just one of those square looking cases with 3 intake fans on the front and 1 exhaust on the back. It has room for 3 120mm fans on the top.

If my radiator is mounted in the top of the case should I set the fans to intake or exhaust? If I set them to exhaust should I turn the rear exhaust fan next to the io shield to intake? I want to make sure my VRMs and pch get proper cooling too, I also have an m.2 but it's under the graphics card so the fans on the gpu should cool it fine.

Also does an EATX board use the same brass standoffs as an ATX board? I also have a new motherboard coming that's eatx but I measured my case and it should work fine as long as it uses the same mounts. (My old atx board died this isnt a new build)

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Typically front, side, and bottom fans are intake (pull cool air into case). Rear and top fans are exhaust (suck hot air from case). This includes when using rads, as well.

An EATX mobo will have additional mounting points (compared to an ATX mobo). You should verify that your case can actually accommodate it. What is the make/model of your case?

Reactions: sodium.in.toilet

sodium.in.toilet

Commendable
Nov 21, 2018
That's not good lol. It's just called rosewill culinan it's got smoked glass on all 3 sides and red fans not rgb, they also make blue and white, and then theres one with rgb fans but that one is newer and different. I already checked and mine does not say its compatible with EATX, but it's only about an inch wider than my current board so I think itll work fine. My case didnt come with extra standoffs but it does have extra holes probably for something different though. Just as most of the screws are in I dont think I'll have problems but I have no idea, I didnt even know EATX existed until today.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
You may find clearance issues with rads/fans. Be careful (assuming it will fit) about flexing the motherboard due to missing standoffs (like when plugging in cables, memory, etc.).

Also, I don't see how you will be able to mount a 360mm rad in the top of that case. It looks like there is not enough room between the motherboard and the area where the rad/fans would go.

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16811147259

sodium.in.toilet

Commendable
Nov 21, 2018
I didnt realize they made so many different versions of this case. I have the old original culinan which is way different than the one in the photo, I couldnt find the one I have anywhere online and when I go to my order history on newegg it's the one in the link that you sent. My case is alot wider than that one and looks taller. I put my old motherboard in and measured the distance from the top of the motherboard to the top of the case and I cant remember the exact measurement but I know I have more than enough space for my aio which is the fractal design celsius s36. Both the atx and eatx are 12 inches tall so that shouldn't be an issue. With the atx board in the case theres actually 4 or 5 inches of empty space to the right of the board. I remember people writing in the reviews that this case was big for a mid tower, but that one in the link is way more compact than mine.

If the eatx is going to be a problem I could drill some holes in the case and buy some standoffs for it.

ASK THE COMMUNITY