intalled another 2gb of ram but only shows 3.5???

acoustic5679

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2007
I just installed 2 more gb of ram to my pc. I bought and used the same memory I had before. Patriot PC2-6400, 800mhz.

When its loading up the bios and in windows task manager it states only 3.5 gigs... Is this normal????

yes, but 3.5 is still a fair amount of ram and do note that no APP can request more then 2 gigs or ram anyway....So even the most hungry game + all your apps still leaves you ram to spare.

With 64-bit this will change (for the good :) )

was hoping for a quick move, but its more of a crawl to 64 bit....

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
This is the topic that never ends... yes it goes on and on my friends... someone started posting it because they were lazy... and they'll continue posting it because...

This is the topic that never ends... yes it goes on and on my friends... someone started posting it because they were lazy... and they'll continue posting it because...

dengamle

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2007

Are you saying all running applications share the 2GB user space? Because that i'm not sure of

mis33

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2007

All your applications will share the amount of memory that you have, in your case, it's 3.5 GB.

If you have only 1 GB of memory, all your applications will still run but they will have to swap in and out. These swapping in and out is performance lost. So, the more applications you are running at he same time, the more memory you will need.

A 32-bit OS can address 4 GB of physical memory addresses, minus all the addresses used by the OS and all your devices, only 3-3.5 GB are left for your applications. For instance, if you have a 8800GT-512MB, the OS will allocate 0.5 GB addressees to the video card.

mis33

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2007

Leave the guy alone. He asked a simple question. Simply ignore the thread if you're not interested.

Like nukemaster said, everything posted here can be googled.

Windows memory management is odd, With my 8800GTX I do loose 768 megs. expected...
95946067ql0.gif

With a 4 meg PCI card i still loose 0.38 gigs. Its otherworldly
38081570he2.gif

With both cards in 768 + 4 I loose 1 full gig

Not to confuse it.....just the mystery of windows :)