integrate wireless charging?

Status
Not open for further replies.

achrist0418

Prominent
Dec 19, 2017
i want to place internal wireless charging pads in my laptop so the area to the right of the track pad i can place my phone and have it charge from the laptop. has anyone done this?

Solution

So... nothing "physical" theoretically makes this impossible. The problem is the current you can push to the pad.

The key problem however is related to the charging itself. Assuming you plan to rig up or utilize a USB port in some fashion or another to provide power to the pad, 0.5A is not nearly enough, which is what most of them will push.

Let me put it in perspective for you, as a long time user. I have a qi receiver that allows a maximum of 1000mA. I have a Qi pad allowing a maximum of 1000mA. Plugged into a 2.4A charger, I get roughly 400mah...

So... nothing "physical" theoretically makes this impossible. The problem is the current you can push to the pad.

The key problem however is related to the charging itself. Assuming you plan to rig up or utilize a USB port in some fashion or another to provide power to the pad, 0.5A is not nearly enough, which is what most of them will push.

Let me put it in perspective for you, as a long time user. I have a qi receiver that allows a maximum of 1000mA. I have a Qi pad allowing a maximum of 1000mA. Plugged into a 2.4A charger, I get roughly 400mah maximally as current read by the phone.

Setting that to 0.5.... that's simply not going to work.You should assume that your current gets halved between input and output, and that's being generous (for qi charging, at least). Most phones will not even charge at 0.250mA on account of the fact that their kernels cut charging to prevent battery issues.

So unfortunately, unless you have a particularly powerful USB you're aware of on your PC going at a MINIMUM of 2A of current, you're not going to get any results for this project, even if you were to try it.

Edit: Fixed units.

IF you can get such a USB (sometimes PCs do have a fast-charge port intended for higher current), there are still some things to be considered:

1. The laptop shell cannot be metal on the keyboard side of it.
2. The laptop shell must be quite thin (max of like .5cm for it to work, if that)

Judging by the number of laptops I've opened though - I don't think you'll easily find room to stick the parts required. They're not huge, but there's not much space anyway.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.