Question Integrated gpu is disabled on gaming laptop

Justasxz

Reputable
Jul 8, 2015
Hello everyone so bassicly I have a problem and hope someone can help me or at least give me advice.
I recently bought a gaming laptop Asus GL703gs to be more exact. Everything works perfectly more or less besides one thing. Battery is abysmal, so what I noticed that there is no such thing as Intel HD or something only the main nVidia gtx 1070 is working. But when I checked my cpu i7 8750h has integrated gpu so I been thinking is it possible to enable or somehow activate the igpu to increase battery life when I just want to do simple browsing etc because Intel uhd is enough. I tried checking bios but as expected it's a dumbed down version of real desktop bios and only have few limited options no igpu included. The uhd doesn't even show in nVidia control panel when choosing which gpu to use bassicly pc is acting like there is no igpu at all. Will appreciate any help.

Colif

Win 11 Master

Justasxz

Reputable
Jul 8, 2015
Laptops that include both will list them in their specs, yours only seems to have a 1070 in it - https://www.asus.com/au/Laptops/ROG-Strix-SCAR-Edition/Tech-Specs/

even though the CPU does have graphics cores, the motherboard may not support them.

see bottom response - https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthre...ng-Intel-Integrated-Graphics-(GL703VM-7700HQ)

in same link, it also explains G Sync monitors can't run off integrated graphics, so the Nvidia GPU is necessary to run screen
Thanks then is there any way to improve battery life besides battery saver mode?

DSzymborski

Titan
Thanks then is there any way to improve battery life besides battery saver mode?

Nothing other than the usual stuff in the power options. A gaming laptop requires one to make many compromises, such as higher expense, shorter lifespan, etc. and one of those compromises is limited battery life. My two-in-one's power lasts a long time more than the power in my gaming laptop with an i7-8750H and a GTX 1070, no matter the mode. It's best to think of a gaming laptop as a different entity than a low-power laptop, more of an ultra-portable desktop that can go without being plugged in for a while.

Justasxz

Reputable
Jul 8, 2015
Nothing other than the usual stuff in the power options. A gaming laptop requires one to make many compromises, such as higher expense, shorter lifespan, etc. and one of those compromises is limited battery life. My two-in-one's power lasts a long time more than the power in my gaming laptop with an i7-8750H and a GTX 1070, no matter the mode. It's best to think of a gaming laptop as a different entity than a low-power laptop, more of an ultra-portable desktop that can go without being plugged in for a while.
Iam aware of that but still lasting only one hour with a bit while not plugged in is a little horrible is almost a desktop at that point.

Colif

Win 11 Master
It does seem to be a joke or just on the line between portable and not.

It is a feature of having a G sync monitor and a GTX 1070. Without those it would likely have better battery life. So the features are in big lettering in press releases, and the minor issue of only working for 1 hour on battery is in small print somewhere in the user manual

Shame you didn't ask about this before buying it.

DSzymborski

Titan
Now the question is, what's the use that gets only an hour on battery? What you're doing, what the display is at. Because if you're gaming at 100% brightness, then yeah, that battery usage is expected but if you're just surfing in a power-saving mode with display down at 30-40%, you should probably get 2-3 hours.

And yes, high-end gaming laptops essentially are almost-desktops, at least when it comes to gaming. Those GPUs use a lot of power relative to laptop battery specs. You have a 76 Wh battery, after all. I've got one, too, though it has 120 Hz and no G-sync, so that it survives longer when not gaming on battery. But yeah, gaming-wise, that'll eat the battery up very quickly.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Most laptops primarily use the igpu at all times. When plugged in, it enables use of the gpu, but only as a secondary processor, the picture still goes through the igpu. This will stay that way until the battery is drained at which point the gpu is downgraded to allow for battery charging. Very few laptops have gpu usage unplugged as the high drain on the battery increases heat unrealistically. Laptop speeds and gpu usage are primarily governed by windows to preserve battery temps, not battery life, windows won't care if the battery lasts 10 minutes or 3 hours as long as it doesn't get hot enough to create damage to the laptop, which can include battery leakage and/or explosion.

With a G-Sync monitor, no igpu to speak of and a gtx1070, your laptop isn't designed to be a regular usage laptop, but more of a portable desktop, maintaining battery life long enough to go to the next place to plug in to a wall outlet.

Justasxz

Reputable
Jul 8, 2015
Now the question is, what's the use that gets only an hour on battery? What you're doing, what the display is at. Because if you're gaming at 100% brightness, then yeah, that battery usage is expected but if you're just surfing in a power-saving mode with display down at 30-40%, you should probably get 2-3 hours.

And yes, high-end gaming laptops essentially are almost-desktops, at least when it comes to gaming. Those GPUs use a lot of power relative to laptop battery specs. You have a 76 Wh battery, after all. I've got one, too, though it has 120 Hz and no G-sync, so that it survives longer when not gaming on battery. But yeah, gaming-wise, that'll eat the battery up very quickly.
Light usage brightness on 0% because screen is still decent even on that with kb lights turned off it lasts 1 hour 40 minutes on battery saver mode while just having two Firefox tabs open.

Justasxz

Reputable
Jul 8, 2015
Most laptops primarily use the igpu at all times. When plugged in, it enables use of the gpu, but only as a secondary processor, the picture still goes through the igpu. This will stay that way until the battery is drained at which point the gpu is downgraded to allow for battery charging. Very few laptops have gpu usage unplugged as the high drain on the battery increases heat unrealistically. Laptop speeds and gpu usage are primarily governed by windows to preserve battery temps, not battery life, windows won't care if the battery lasts 10 minutes or 3 hours as long as it doesn't get hot enough to create damage to the laptop, which can include battery leakage and/or explosion.

With a G-Sync monitor, no igpu to speak of and a gtx1070, your laptop isn't designed to be a regular usage laptop, but more of a portable desktop, maintaining battery life long enough to go to the next place to plug in to a wall outlet.
It does seem to be a joke or just on the line between portable and not.

It is a feature of having a G sync monitor and a GTX 1070. Without those it would likely have better battery life. So the features are in big lettering in press releases, and the minor issue of only working for 1 hour on battery is in small print somewhere in the user manual

Shame you didn't ask about this before buying it.
Well I was aware it will have a bad battery Iam not a moron when it comes to technology thing is i never had laptop with gsync or without igpu so I was expecting to get decent battery when running my cpu on 50% power and igpu