[SOLVED] Help with Integrated graphics build

Jun 14, 2021
Noob at pc hardware here. Asked reddit before, but unsurprisingly it got drowned very easily lol.
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/nzfy9c/need_to_go_pc_guess_im_going_integrated_graphics/

Looking around, i think the best option is either ryzen 5 3400g or intel's i5 11500? I looked at nanoreview's cpu compare site and it shows that 11500 is noticeably better? but this youtube video
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gm5WbqsCrzA&ab_channel=TestingGames
makes it seem like ryzen's better?

Still don't even know the cpu to go with, let alone the other parts. I'm hoping someone can help me with some suggestions since i don't know much about pc hardware in general.

Solution
11500 has HD750, yes. But this is in the range of a GT730/740 in terms of performance.

3400G is much older, but has a much larger and faster GPU. Vega 11 is around a GTX 750 in performance.

There are also Ryzen 4000 Pro series APUs that you can get, occasionally, from OEM system builders. If you don't mind waiting, I believe you can also get them shipped from Asia.

Ryzen 5000 APUs would be the ideal, but when those hit the street, they are going to be near impossible to purchase. 3400G prices are already very high.

Ryzen 3600 plus something like a used GTX card or RX card might be the way to go temporarily. Otherwise, 11500 will at least be usable until you can get a discrete GPU.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
11500 has HD750, yes. But this is in the range of a GT730/740 in terms of performance.

3400G is much older, but has a much larger and faster GPU. Vega 11 is around a GTX 750 in performance.

There are also Ryzen 4000 Pro series APUs that you can get, occasionally, from OEM system builders. If you don't mind waiting, I believe you can also get them shipped from Asia.

Ryzen 5000 APUs would be the ideal, but when those hit the street, they are going to be near impossible to purchase. 3400G prices are already very high.

Ryzen 3600 plus something like a used GTX card or RX card might be the way to go temporarily. Otherwise, 11500 will at least be usable until you can get a discrete GPU.

Reactions: Overtrue
Solution

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
The confusion is likely becuase you're conflating a few things. The nanoreview site you link primarily looks at the actual CPU performance. An 11500 ought to comfortably outperform a 3400G here; it has more single core speed and two more cores/four more threads. CPU reviews heavily rely on the CPU performance, not so much the integrated GPU performance. Mainly because people who care about GPU performance typically aren't using integrated graphics and people who don't care about GPU performance typically don't care about the integrated graphic performance.

People having to rely on integrated graphics as short-term fixes because of current issues in the world is a pretty new thing, so you don't see a lot of reviews geared towards that yet. I expect that to change somewhat depending on how long the problems persist.

When you're seeing benchmarking of games on integrated graphics side-by-side, you're seeing something different than at the top; modern games heavily rely on GPU performance, so the quality of the integrated GPU is a big difference from chip-to-chip. The Vega 11 graphics in the Ryzen APU are much more powerful than the UHD 750 and UHD 630 in the i9s in your video link.

In games with action in them, you're far more likely to have GPU-bound scenarios than CPU-bound ones, meaning that the differences in CPU performance in the game will tend to be much smaller than differences in GPU performance.

In games that are more CPU-driven, like Civilization VI and Cities: Skylines, those i9s will claw back a lot of performance.

What to go with depends on your long-term plans and usage. If this is just a budget gaming build you don't plan on upgrading much, the Ryzen APU is probably the better idea. Though I'd probably wait until August and see the Ryzen 5000G reviews/availability. Or you could wait for Alder Lake later this year and see how Intel's new integrated GPU solution works.

If you do a lot of work-related things on your PC and play more CPU-bound gains, there's a very good argument for getting a new Intel now and deal with the reduced GPU performance temporarily.

There's no right or wrong answer to this; it depends on your needs and personal values/preferences.

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Swapped the power supply for something nicer. Memory speed to 3600Mhz.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3400G 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($279.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($91.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($55.49 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case ($65.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Super Flower Leadex III Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($88.00 @ Newegg Sellers)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($108.78 @ Other World Computing)
Total: $880.21
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-06-14 11:33 EDT-0400

Jun 14, 2021
Thx for the replies guys! Really appreciate it!

In games with action in them, you're far more likely to have GPU-bound scenarios than CPU-bound ones, meaning that the differences in CPU performance in the game will tend to be much smaller than differences in GPU performance.

In games that are more CPU-driven, like Civilization VI and Cities: Skylines, those i9s will claw back a lot of performance.
Hmm... I definitely don't know which games will need which one more to make a decision based on this, but would like to be able to play some bigger titles i guess, even if it's low quality. So i guess it'd be ryzen.

What to go with depends on your long-term plans and usage. If this is just a budget gaming build you don't plan on upgrading much, the Ryzen APU is probably the better idea. Though I'd probably wait until August and see the Ryzen 5000G reviews/availability. Or you could wait for Alder Lake later this year and see how Intel's new integrated GPU solution works.

If you do a lot of work-related things on your PC and play more CPU-bound gains, there's a very good argument for getting a new Intel now and deal with the reduced GPU performance temporarily.

There's no right or wrong answer to this; it depends on your needs and personal values/preferences.
Aren't new things released going to be a lot more pricier than the current choices? Not really in a rush, but i'm not quite sure if i'll even be able to get my hands on newer products.

My work often requires me to use big google docs, and site editing, which i don't think is going to be that demanding to require top of the line stuff. Hopefully i'm not missing out on a lot through the difference between the 2 cpus.

Swapped the power supply for something nicer. Memory speed to 3600Mhz.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3400G 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($279.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($91.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($55.49 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case ($65.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Super Flower Leadex III Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($88.00 @ Newegg Sellers)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($108.78 @ Other World Computing)
Total: $880.21
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-06-14 11:33 EDT-0400

Thank you for this! If you don't mind me asking, should i be getting a different cooler or additional fans? Ideally i want the pc to be silent, especially when i'm playing games.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
For silence you can certainly upgrade the CPU cooler.

Hyper 212 black is $42 right now, not bad. Depends how much you want to spend. 140mm fan air coolers are between 60 and 80 dollars.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Hy...ck-edition-420-cfm-cpu-cooler-rr-212s-20pk-r1

Not going to be a monster of a system when it comes to power draw. You can maybe pick up a few extra NZXT chassis fans, but probably not worth it at the moment.

Jun 14, 2021
For silence you can certainly upgrade the CPU cooler.

Hyper 212 black is $42 right now, not bad. Depends how much you want to spend. 140mm fan air coolers are between 60 and 80 dollars.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Hy...ck-edition-420-cfm-cpu-cooler-rr-212s-20pk-r1

Not going to be a monster of a system when it comes to power draw. You can maybe pick up a few extra NZXT chassis fans, but probably not worth it at the moment.

Checking with my local store to see what they have available for convenience purposes. I had to change a few things around based on availability and cheaper price. Wanted to make sure things won't go wrong with these parts.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mfQKt8

Had to change the motherboard to pro4, is that going to be an issue? Or will a quick bios update will be an easy fix as mentioned at the bottom of pc part picker notification?

Also the ram brand. Does the ram brand matter? Went with klevv bolt xr.

As for the case, seems like there is a local brand that's much cheaper but not on pcpartpicker site, called cube gaming frins. This one should be fine i assume.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Memory has higher latency than what I picked out. You probably want to stick to CL16, that memory is also your graphics memory so any speed gains there are very beneficial.

Can't guarantee you will have a BIOS version that is bootable. It should be but it depends how long the board has been sitting on the shelf. Worst case you have to send off for one of AMD's flash kits (which is basically just an Athlon CPU) or take it to a store where they can flash it with an older chip.

Alternative is to buy a motherboard that guarantees it will support the 3400G out of the box, or get a motherboard with CPUless BIOS flashing.

Cheap cases are cheap. Fans are not likely to be very good, cheap packaging may have gotten it dented in shipping, and you may run into issues with cable management. And of course cheaper cases are often just older designs and they tend to have issues with the latest hardware trends. Large GPUs can be a problem later on. Another weird thing is poor quality screws and thin sheet metal, can be easy to damage one or the other when things are a little off.

Jun 14, 2021
Can you wait? New generation coming Aug 5th.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16720/amd-ryzen-5000g-zen-3-apus-for-desktop-coming-august-5th

If you can wait a little bit, but not too long, you could order a 4000 series APU from ali express, shipped from China with no cooler, preferbly the 4750g.

Not really in a rush to get a pc now, but i am looking to maybe get it around next month.

I'm not looking to get the top of the line cpu here, it's more of a temporary solution to wait for gpu prices to go down. Is waiting for the 4750g worth it? Cuz i don't mind getting the lesser one for now because it's cheaper.

TRENDING THREADS